Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Another Ad Preview Tool Question

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Community,

I have a question that I'm hoping can be answered here and if not, maybe I could be directed to someone who could look into this!

I'm having some issues with the ad preview tool.

First, please let me clarify. I understand that there are bids and so ads wont show in the same position all the time. I understand that the Ad Preview tool is not for showing me other peoples ads but for showing where mine are ranking. I also understand that not all searched topics go to pages with ads on them.

For my explanation I'll use the keyword, 'Dentists' because ads show for that keyword.

When I use the Ad Preview tool and search for my keyword, 'Dentist' a big red sign shows at the top saying my keyword is not showing due to low AdRank. However, all that there is on the page that loads is a map and organic ads. So there is no space for paid ads anywhere.  It takes 5 or 6 times refreshing the page before a page with paid ad space shows so I can see what position my ad is in.

I'm just wondering, why call it an Ad Preview Tool when you search for your ad and it wont show up because there is no space for paid ads on the page? I feel like I am wasting time pressing the search button over and over again until I finally see my results and can decide whether or now I should raise the bid or not. 

An idea, couldn't there be some way to make the Ad Preview Tool only load pages with actual paid ad space each time we use it so we can see where our ads would be? Maybe have a note at the top saying something like, 'There are times when this keyword is searched that there will be no paid ad space. However, if there was ad space, this is where your ad would currently be' that way people are aware that there is not always paid ad space on a search page but we don't have to waste time refreshing the page over and over on every single keyword?

Thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Dentists usually geo-target their ads to a small geographic radius, if you are in a sparsely populated area then there may be no ads running. Also, many dentists will not advertise on the keyword "dentist" because it is not targeted enough.  They tend to prefer advertising on more targeted keywords like "family dentistry", "emergency dentist", "cosmetic dentist", "teeth whitening", "root canal", "best dentist zipcode", things like that because the cost per action (CPA) will be lower and the return on ad spend (ROAS) will be higher. 

As far as your own ads go, ads are not displayed all the time.  It depends upon your budget, quality score, and other factors.  It is most reliable to use campaign statistics to see how frequently they are being displayed on search engine result pages (SERPs), that is "impressions".  Stats may be delayed 3 to 8 hours so it is best to look at yesterday's (after about 8am), or older data. 

hth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello @Steve B,

I was using dentist as an example. That is not the actual keyword(s) I'm using. The area targeted for my actual keywords is an entire country.  As I said at the beginning of my post, I am aware they are not displayed all the time. I also know all of the factors that go into why, when, and how long my ads are displayed for. 

I appreciate the advice for using campaign statistics however, I am wondering why the AdPreview Tool will not show pages with any paid ad space multiple times when it's used to Preview Ads. I understand ads don't show all the time but I think it would save time if we could see where our ads are placed at that moment right away (given that the campaign is not out of budget etc) instead of constantly refreshing. 

Jillian

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Jillian S

I'm frustrated by this too! The warning message that the ad is not showing due to low ad rank doesn't jive with there being zero paid ads on the SERP. I've been told on this forum that raising a bid (to increase ad rank) will not make the SERP show the ads (Google chooses when/how many ads show) - so what gives? 

I agree that the Ad Preview Tool should show you where your ads would show if the SERP had paid ad space. Is there anyway for us to know if a keyword we're bidding on isn't gonna show because of these frequent ad-less SERPs? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Jillian S;

Could you elaborate what do you mean by " I am wondering why the AdPreview Tool will not show pages with any paid ad space multiple times when it's used to Preview Ads."?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV,

When I put my keyword into the AdPreview Tool, it generates a search result page that does not display paid ads. How is this previewing my ad if there is no space for paid ads on the result page?

Jillian

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If no ads was shown on SERP this means that   no ad (by any advertiser) wons a slot in the auction. Remember that Google has a threshold of an ad rank to meet in order for an ad to be shown, even if no other advertiser is bidding on the same keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV,

Are you saying if we increase our bid, improve our QS etc then the SERP will change and the ad will show? 

If I search my keyword and the AdPreview Tool shows no paid ads, then I refresh the page again and there are still no paid ads showing, then I refresh the page again and suddenly there are 6 paid ads showing, does that mean all of those paid ads lost the auction the first 2 searches but then they all won a slot in the last auction? 

Jillian

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

>>"Are you saying if we increase our bid, improve our QS etc then the SERP will change and the ad will show? "

Yes.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV,

One last question!

If I search my keyword and the AdPreview Tool shows no paid ads, then I refresh the page again and there are still no paid ads showing, then I refresh the page again and suddenly there are 6 paid ads showing, does that mean all of those paid ads lost the auction the first 2 searches but then they all won a slot in the last auction? 

Thanks for all your information

Jillian