AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

5.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Annoying ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

WHy are ads from Adwords only showing up on my gmail acct on my iPad only. Not showing up gmail acct on my MAcBook. Just iPad. No one seems to know why, including the Google support team

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Annoying ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... My "feeling" is that you have opted out from "interest based ads " on your MacBook and haven't done so on your Ipad.   (Assuming that you access your gmail account on your IPad using Chrome / Safari).

You need to opt out  from all your devices / browsers. 

See detailed instructions on opting out from interest  based ads on multiple devices, in the following link:

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So far...best answer. Just checked my ipad and I have not opted out on Safari. Missed that sneaky little browser. I will wait 2-3 days (thats usually how long it takes for those Adword ads to appear) and than I will 'accept as solution'!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I hope this works. I hardly ever use Safari and my opt out on Chrome was checked so I'm wondering do I have to be browsing on Safari for those ads to appear? If yes something is still wrong. I was using Safari maybe twice this past month. Oh well, I shall see. Fingers crossed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just got another one. **bleep**

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Debbie,

Are you seeing these ads in the promotions section of your email? If so, these are a part of Google's GSP (Gmail Sponsored Promotions) and the only way to opt out of the ads is to remove the promotions tab entirely.

Here's an article that explains how to opt out (with pictures): http://www.thewire.com/technology/2013/07/theres-easy-way-escape-gmails-terrible-new-email-ads/67445...

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Driving me nuts that ads are only on iPad. Maybe I should opt-in to actually control ads? Just a thought

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You cannot opt out entirely from ads. You can opt out only from interest based ads. If you don't want ads at all switch to the paid version of Gmail. Google Apps for work.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Amy,
What about my legitimate promotions, where will they end up? Will they divert to my mail mail tab?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Unfortunately, I believe so. You should be able to opt out of the promotions tab and then opt back in if you decide you prefer to have the email organization option. For me, it's worth it to see ads just to keep all of the marketing emails I get separated into a different tab. I've in subscribed from so many and yet I still get tons! I had filters set up before but they were far from perfect.

As Moshe said, this is Google's way of monetizing an otherwise free product so that they don't have to charge users.