Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Animated banner ads specs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently making animated web banner ads that are to be used in a Google Ad Words campaign. I'm thinking of rendering the final product in .gif format.

I've been searching everywhere to try and find the most optimal file size specifications and I keep seeing that, for animated .gif ads, the ideal (read : necessary) frame rate is 5fps (which, in my opinion, isn't really ideal in terms of aesthetics), but I can't seem to find the exact reason as to why it should. Is it just for smaller file-size? Or does it have something to do with web programming or universal browser compliance? Something else?

In addition, I checked on the official Google Ad Words policies article, and the only restriction regarding animated ads is the duration (30 seconds). So i've been wondering if this frame rate restriction is something that was valid a couple years ago, but isn't anymore, if it's relevant for any and all web ads.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Louis D
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here are the specs;

Google has not revealed the reason for setting the specs, but rest assured that like any  technical  change  at Google, it was thoroughly tested for performance  before. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Louis D
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here are the specs;

Google has not revealed the reason for setting the specs, but rest assured that like any  technical  change  at Google, it was thoroughly tested for performance  before. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright, thanks Moshe!