AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics not tracking adwords code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to all,

I am new to google tools and to the community.

I am having some truble with my Analytics account. I have set up tracking for 2 diffrent pages, and both are not working properly. I want to track my adword campaings in GA, but when in go to  Traffic Sources -> Advertising -> AdWords -> Campaigns, and here should be all my AdWords campaigns, but in one case there is just (not set), and in the other there is nothing.

I have implemented the codes, like they are supposed to be (thank you page, in the body).

I generated them throughout adwords, plus on one index page i am using the snipet from GA for conversion tracking, Goal set 1 (to see if this makes the diference)

It has been more then 3 weeks, and it is not working...

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko S
September 2015

Re: Analytics not tracking adwords code

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

You will need to have the GA code snippet on all the pages on your site - especially the AdWords destination url.

If you have pages without  the code and the visitor passes through those pages, you will lose the tracking...

You should also make sure that within the AdWords preferences you have the autotagging option selected.

You can check to see if your AdWords traffic is being spotted by going into GA Traffic - Advertising - AdWords and then clicking on the Clicks tab - even if you don't have the autotagging selected Google will still recognize the clicks as coming in from AdWords but will not be able to attribute to a campaign.

In most of these cases it is one of two main problems - either the GA code is not installed on all pages of the site or the autotagging is not activated.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

As a alternate solution you can choose the google adword tracking within google adword tools and analysis . And You can check the same results on google analytics as well. .

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

You will need to have the GA code snippet on all the pages on your site - especially the AdWords destination url.

If you have pages without  the code and the visitor passes through those pages, you will lose the tracking...

You should also make sure that within the AdWords preferences you have the autotagging option selected.

You can check to see if your AdWords traffic is being spotted by going into GA Traffic - Advertising - AdWords and then clicking on the Clicks tab - even if you don't have the autotagging selected Google will still recognize the clicks as coming in from AdWords but will not be able to attribute to a campaign.

In most of these cases it is one of two main problems - either the GA code is not installed on all pages of the site or the autotagging is not activated.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi  Marko,

Welcome to the community.

Few things to check...

• Have you applied the cost data in you Analytics account? Find more help here 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2820717?hl=en

• Are you tagging your links properly? Either use Auto Tagging (turn this on in your AdWords Account under "My Account" -> "Preferences") or Manual Tagging using the URL Builder.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

Can you clarify whether you are talking about Adwords conversion tracking code here or about the Google Analytics script?

Please note that both are different and work differently due to the way cookies are handled by both the scripts.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick anwsers, I will try your suggestions now, and see if it will help.

pankaj1782, I am talking about both, the Adwords conversion tracking code and the Google Analytics script. The problem is that i don't have informations in GA for adwords conversions... But it is implemented in the thank you page.

Marko

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You cannot see AdWords conversions in GA ..... so that's one mystery solved.

If you want to monitor this in GA then you need to set up a goal based on a visit to the url of the conversion page....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Steve,

You said: »You cannot see AdWords conversions in GA ..... so that's one mystery solved.«

Now this has confused me, becouse i think I can see them in GA.

You can see what I mean in the attachmend adword.pngadword.PNG

Now here is a print of the new sites:

adword2.PNG

adword3.PNG

I will put the GA snipet on every page, and check back in 2 days to see if it is working now, autotagging is activated.

Marko

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

What you are reporting here is a GA goal though - not an Adwords conversion.... we have to be clear as to what we are looking at...

1. We can set up a goal in analytics and then later import that as a conversion in AdWords...

2. We can set up a conversion in AdWords and place that on a page - but this will only report into AdWords... and only the AdWords traffic will trigger the conversion.

Of course, we could have a "thank you" page we want to track and can set up a goal in Analytics AND add the AdWords conversion code to the page - that way we see the conversion in AdWords and the goal in GA.

Now here's the tricky part... if you then import the Analytics goal as a conversion in Adwords then when a single visitor reaches the page the system will record two conversions - one from the AdWords conversion one from the imported GA goal completion.

Thus your cost per conversion is halved (falsely!) so be careful!