Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics from two different sources don't coincide

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have been tracking our google analytics account for three months. I received the login details to where our website has been hosted, and when looking at those web stats- they differ from what i see on google analytics. Google analytics has recorded half of what the other platform shows. Why would this be? Can someone please help me out Smiley Happy Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Precision Device Distributors p
December 2015

Re: Analytics from two different sources don't coincide

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Quick question - what is the pages visited average in Google Analytics - if it's close to 2 then the other may be tracking page views... you need to be sure you are comparing apples to apples....

You can also check that GA is installed site wide.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Few reasons I could think of:-

1. Google Analytics track sessions and your third party tool might be tracking visit or click or any other metric.

2. If the user wishes not to get tracked, they can use any browser add-ons not to get tracked. Those sessions will not be counted in Google Analytics.

3. The way how first party and third party cookies are being handled. Google Analytics track sessions using First Party cookies as far as my understanding goes. This could be another conflict.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Precision Device Distributors p
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Quick question - what is the pages visited average in Google Analytics - if it's close to 2 then the other may be tracking page views... you need to be sure you are comparing apples to apples....

You can also check that GA is installed site wide.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj Thanks for your response! What is the difference between visitors & sessions... the third party tool tracked about double the amount of traffic... does that make sense? Thanks Pankaj. Warm Regards,