AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Analytic Remarketing Segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I get all visitors using segments?

End goal is to build a list of all visitors excluding those that visited 3 other specific pages.

Is segments not the best way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kayla W
September 2015

Re: Analytic Remarketing Segments

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Without commenting on your misreading of the question...Selecting the "All of my site visitors" options does not allow me to exclude visitors to the 3 specific pages.

My end goal is to target all visitors with the exception of those that visited 3 specific page.

Futhermore, creating the custom combinaiton list is done through Adwords.  I'd like my list to be done compeltely through analytics.

Currently, I've have selected the "Create my own remarketing type using Visitor Segments", added the following filter:

Include Page Begins with /

AND Exclude Page Containing /Waterfront

AND Exclude Page Containing /Rentals

AND exclude Page Containing /Redcude.

I am not 100% confident this is collecting all of my desired traffic but it seems to be working. The filter setup is touchy. 

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Without commenting on the "why would you setup remarketing to all visitors", the first option when creating a remarketing list in analytics is just that "All visitors", as in the picture below :

remarketing-all-visitors.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To clarify : what you can do is to create a custom combination between "all visitors" AND NOT the audience which visites those 3 pages . More on custom combinations here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

setting-custom-combination.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kayla W
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Without commenting on your misreading of the question...Selecting the "All of my site visitors" options does not allow me to exclude visitors to the 3 specific pages.

My end goal is to target all visitors with the exception of those that visited 3 specific page.

Futhermore, creating the custom combinaiton list is done through Adwords.  I'd like my list to be done compeltely through analytics.

Currently, I've have selected the "Create my own remarketing type using Visitor Segments", added the following filter:

Include Page Begins with /

AND Exclude Page Containing /Waterfront

AND Exclude Page Containing /Rentals

AND exclude Page Containing /Redcude.

I am not 100% confident this is collecting all of my desired traffic but it seems to be working. The filter setup is touchy. 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I answered in message 3, it is done by creating a "custom audience" in the adwords interface by excluding the audience with visitors who reached those 3 pages. Does that answer your question ?

The problem with "all visitors" is that includes the bounces too, visitors who were not interested in the site and exited the landing pages. I preffer to exclude also audiences with bounces and visits under 10 seconds.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Your consideration of the Bounces and Time on site is valid. I will certainly take that into account. Thanks for the recommendation.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Analytics is also limited in remarketing because audiences made with it cannot be used in Search campaigns for remarketing, it is a relatively new feature called "RLSA" in short and described in greater detail here : 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

What really worked best for me in terms of remarket are these audiences for search campaigns,which also include organic /direct visitors.

The most simple strategy is to add this audience in a search campaign and raise the bid for it with 10-30%. This means that keywords will have higher bids when they match search terms inputed by previous visitors and your Ads get higher positions and better chances to be clicked by people who already know your site and could convert.

Only audiences made with the AdWords tag can be used to remarket in Search campaigns and the duration of cookies is limited to 180 days. Also the minimum audience must be 1000 cookies to start remarketing in search.