AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Analitics and adwords... never match even close.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords says 170+ clicks...

Analitics says 60 ppc visits / 80 total visiters

Yes analitics code is on all pages, as its in a footer included on all pages.

4 days i have tried this... each day is the same... analitics always tells me less than half of the clicks reported by adwords.

I have checked invalid clicks column, and have 15 there... but its still not matching and im still not impressed.

Ryan

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JamesC (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Analitics and adwords... never match even close.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi rocky533,

Analytics visits and AdWords clicks are two completely different metrics. AdWords counts every click on your ad. Analytics visits count the number of unique people who visited your site. So, if a user clicks on your ad twice, that results in 2 AdWords clicks and only 1 Analytics visit. You could go through your web logs to confirm this. You could count the number of clicks per IP address and average that. It should come up close, but will never be exact.

This is not unusual behavior, depending on the competitiveness of your market. It could be the result of comparing prices to your competitors.

Also, AdWords will count every click. If the visitor has Javascript disabled, you will not see a visit. If the user has disabled tracking scripts, you will not see a visit. If the user "bounces" from your landing page before the Analytics script loads and executes, you will not see a visit.

Generally, Google will not consider 2 clicks by the same user in a short period of time to be invalid. The nubmer of clicks from a single IP must be higher than that, although Google has not to my knowledge divulged how they calculate invalid clicks.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ryan!

I hate those technical measurement problem with Analytics as well.

But let´s see if we can find an answer to your problem anyway:

1) Du you use any call extensions? If a user clicks a call extension, that will only open a the number board in their phone with your phone number on it, not send them to your website.

2) Does your website work properly with all browsers, for example those use on smart phones? Cause if the browser can´t load the page, it may not load the javascript and then the visitor will not be registered

3) Do you have any reason to believe that your javascript doesn´t load properly? for example if you have another string of javascript on the page which disturbs the Analytics-code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding David,

I dont use any call extentions, no number for them to call Smiley Tongue

Working properly in all browsers that i use, computer based. IE, mozilla, chrome.  I have excluded mobile/tablet ads from showing and have told google to only show to computer based browsers so clicks should never come from anything but a computer... at least thats my logic. No error pages show in logs so i assume there is not a problem with this.

I do have other javascript, as i code my pages myself, but it wouldnt make sense to me that some are tracked properly and others are not. All ads go to same landing page, and all pages have analitics code in the footer at the bottom of every page.

I wish i knew what else to check...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JamesC (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi rocky533,

Analytics visits and AdWords clicks are two completely different metrics. AdWords counts every click on your ad. Analytics visits count the number of unique people who visited your site. So, if a user clicks on your ad twice, that results in 2 AdWords clicks and only 1 Analytics visit. You could go through your web logs to confirm this. You could count the number of clicks per IP address and average that. It should come up close, but will never be exact.

This is not unusual behavior, depending on the competitiveness of your market. It could be the result of comparing prices to your competitors.

Also, AdWords will count every click. If the visitor has Javascript disabled, you will not see a visit. If the user has disabled tracking scripts, you will not see a visit. If the user "bounces" from your landing page before the Analytics script loads and executes, you will not see a visit.

Generally, Google will not consider 2 clicks by the same user in a short period of time to be invalid. The nubmer of clicks from a single IP must be higher than that, although Google has not to my knowledge divulged how they calculate invalid clicks.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you again for the response.

I realize they are different metrics.. and understand that a click doesnt always equate to a visit. However, with this logic, adwords is charging me for people clicking my ad more than once. There is no way for me to tell adwords to stop showing the ad to that person after he clicks once.

i have checked my records, there are some same ip clicks, (5) out of 200.. still doesnt add up.

I know that its not a disabled js thing either... i mean do you think 2/3rds of people block js???

I am not complaining about amount of clicks, or visits, in fact either one of those numbers would be fine for me in either program... but i dont know which one is telling me correctly, or how to match them up... if you cant match them, then why track this at all?

I would accept adwords telling me 50 clicks and i get 35 visiters... but when i now see 77 visiters resuliting from 196 clicks... either something is wrong or adwords is just not for me as its taking money for really no reason.

adwords is for clicks, analitics it to track visiters (from those clicks)... who would continue to pay for clicks that result in no visiters? Is this what all of you do?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I´ve never seen such a big diff between clicks and visitors and if I did I´d do would you do - make a thourough investigation.

Of course you could have a complex cocurrence of many factors: dynamic IP-adresses, disabled javascript, javascript not always loading...
But to be honest - you have a bit of a challenge here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@rocky533 wrote:

4 days i have tried this... each day is the same... analitics always tells me less than half of the clicks reported by adwords.

Ryan

Ryan, please have a look today, and compare Analytics and AdWords for last Monday. What do they look like? Data is not always synchronized at the exact same time, it's never "live", and sometimes you need a bit of time before it settles. Usually looking at data from the day before yesterday would suffice, but let's be extra careful in this case. How does Monday look like, AdWords versus Analytics?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think i have found my issue. And it seams it was my mistake not googles.

I dont know who approved the solution.... I didnt and it didnt solve anything. Everyone in this thread did help and i appreciate it.

The problem it seams was that i had tracking code in the footer... below everything. Fairly large page. Many users click on a link before the page fully loads and causes google analitics to just not see the visiter. I moved the code to the head and stats now match properly. About 5-10% differance, but that is acceptable.

Thank you all for your help.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Rocky533,

Glad you found the solution. I don't know how my reply got maked as "solved"!

I will reiterate one of my suggestions, "If the user 'bounces' from your landing page before the Analytics script loads and executes, you will not see a visit." Same applies when a user clicks on a link on the page before the Analytics script can execute.

Best of Luck!

Pete