Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ampersands in keyword reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

Just wondering what one should make of ampersands in the search query report?

Take example from the search query report for instance:

"clothes shoes & accessories men's clothing jumpers & cardigans new"

Should this be interpreted as successive searches?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ampersands in keyword reports?

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Everything in the Search Query Report is the exact Match terms that a user typed into a single search request that triggered your ads to show. So someone typed in "clothes shoes & accessories men's clothing jumpers & cardigans new"

Now you should consider if terms like this are positive towards your campaign objectives or some variation should be added to a negative keyword list. Make decisions based on your campaign ROI and Conversions

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

We need to assume that the keyword "clothes shoes & accessories men's clothing jumpers & cardigans new" is the search term that triggered your ads i.e your website visitor has typed this query into the google search box.

Thanks
Aritra Mukherjee

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
I usually end up excluding ampersands at the campaign level when I see stuff like that in the SQ reports. Most of the time those terms have hundreds, or thousands of impressions and zero clicks. It seems like a bot or some such... No actual human being is going to search like that.
Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have also seen strange search terms including an ampersand in a couple of client accounts. Thousands of impressions for very similar search terms including an ampersand. For example: office space & commercial real estate (2600 impressions in 2 weeks), warehouse office space & commercial real estate, commercial kitchen office space & commercial real estate and a lot more. This really seems to be killing my CTR so I'm going to add the exact match version as a negative. Any idea what might be causing this?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Everything in the Search Query Report is the exact Match terms that a user typed into a single search request that triggered your ads to show. So someone typed in "clothes shoes & accessories men's clothing jumpers & cardigans new"

Now you should consider if terms like this are positive towards your campaign objectives or some variation should be added to a negative keyword list. Make decisions based on your campaign ROI and Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had been finding this a lot too and finally figured it out with the help of a colleague. Some Google Search Partners who display your ads (Gumtree for me in Australia) show Google ads on their pages and evidently show the search term as their users search + ampersand (category page). Does that make sense? I'm now going and turning off search partners for all clients that have these weird & keywords in their search term reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This sounds much more the correct answer to me. Another Partner told me to disable the search partners ads but didn't say why - Aaron W's seems to be a reasonable suggestion as to why. I've asked AdWords support and they are going to get back to me so I will post the outcome.