Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

If I'm using the following keywords set to exact match:

[buy l-series]

[buy l series]

[buy lseries]

Am I competing against myself? What would be the most intelligent way to approach this scenerio?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Am I competing against myself?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Alex K,

No, you are not competing with yourself. The keyword with the highest QS * Bid (AdRank) will be selected to enter the general auction. You can play with the bids to increase the AdRank of each keyword, but that doesn't mean you end up paying more for your ad to show in the same position.

Did you find these keywords using the Search Terms report, or did you get them from organic queries to your site? I'm curious as to how you came up with your keywords. Generally speaking, all three are roughly equivalent as search terms (queries). Spaces and hyphens are generally ignored. I would expect the QS shown in the AdWords UI to be the same for all three keywords. That doesn't necessarily mean they are always equivalent.

Do they all get impressions? How does the CTR compare?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Alex K,

No, you are not competing with yourself. The keyword with the highest QS * Bid (AdRank) will be selected to enter the general auction. You can play with the bids to increase the AdRank of each keyword, but that doesn't mean you end up paying more for your ad to show in the same position.

Did you find these keywords using the Search Terms report, or did you get them from organic queries to your site? I'm curious as to how you came up with your keywords. Generally speaking, all three are roughly equivalent as search terms (queries). Spaces and hyphens are generally ignored. I would expect the QS shown in the AdWords UI to be the same for all three keywords. That doesn't necessarily mean they are always equivalent.

Do they all get impressions? How does the CTR compare?

Best of Luck!

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Alex,

Pete is right, you will not compete against yourself in this case as all your keywords are in exact match type and that means all of these 3 keywords are completely different from each other.

However, if your keywords would have been 'buy i series', 'buy iseries' (in broad) then there is a possibility you might compete against yourself. In such an event, the keyword with higher ad rank will most likely enter the auction from your account.

Hope this helps you out.
- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the reply Pete. Would you be able to give me a common example of how you can end up competing against yourself in AdWords?

Also, the reason I asked my original questions is because, from my understanding, with default exact match that matches close variants, the hyphen in [l-series] is somewhat ignored and can match out to [l series] or [lseries]. So if I have all 3 keywords in the same adgroup or across different adgroups, isn't there a potential I'm competing against myself? I'm trying to understand how to avoid competing against yourself.

And finally, my main question is how to handle search terms that are normally and most often spelled with a hyphen but also are commonly spelled with and without a space? This "l-series" is just an example.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

This is my view, others may tell you something else. You never really compete against yourself in terms of pushing your CPC higher. The keyword with the highest ad rank will always enter the general auction.

All of the above queries are roughly equivalent because of close variants. That does not mean all three will always have the same QS. If bids are all equal, the keyword with the highest QS will be selected to enter the general auction.

The only way to really compete against yourself would be to advertise with 2 accounts, which would violate the double serving rule, or to allow affiliate advertising on your site. In the latter case, you would be competing with the affiliate.

Best of Luck!

Pete