AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

All Exact Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

With the keyword multipliers availabe that let you easily form thousands of exact keywords that capture pretty much every possible search you would be interested in, is there any reason to use phrase or broad match?  Phrase and broad seem to always let in searches that from people who aren't quite aligned with what you have but they click anyway and cost you a click.

Someone said that entering a particular keyword as a phrase-match rather than an exact match would give it a higher quality score.  This doesn't make sense, though, to me: an exact match can better merge with the ad.

I was just wondering what the thinking was out there.

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: All Exact Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stevea,

Personally I would do the following:

Start with 5 - 15 broad match keywords per ad group.

Run your campaign 7 - 14 days, there after go to the keywords tab and select segment>search term match type and look at the results:

There you can easily compare what match type would serve you the best results and performance.

You can then also click on the see search terms and select all.

Whilst reviewing exactly what the keyphrases were that lead to click throughs, you can choose new keywords and match types from there and also very important ad negative keyphrases from there you identify and know is not relevant to your MWR (Most Wanted Response).

Also add negative keywords from the start on campaign and or ad group level to help improve all over performance.

Hope this helps,

Google Regional Trainer chosen by Google

With over 8 years experience in AdWords and Qualified. From South Africa.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: All Exact Keywords vs modified broad match

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

stevea;

This subject has been discussed from every angle possible on this community. If you run a search, you will find plenty of excellent threads . Here are two excellent ones that I find most appealing:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/The-order-of-words-singular-vs-plural-and-oth...

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Broad-vs-Broad/m-p/16982/highlight/true#M26...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Yep, if he switched from exact to phrase he lost history. Chances are that history was really bad and that's why the QS improved.

I'd note that my above entry is applicable to ad groups where multiple match types of the same keyword term are in use simultaneously. In such cases their QS values are identical.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Stevea,

I recall the conversation about changing match types appeared to get a better QS. I explained a bit about this in that thread, I do it again briefly here.

The QS you see in the interface is calculated at that time and is always based on the exact match for the term, so broad, phrase and exact match all in the same ad group will always show the same QS. But that is not the end of the story. QS is calculated for each and every query. It is not static.

When you change match types, the keyword with the old match type is deleted and added as new with the new match type. Perfomance of the keyword within the group doesn't affect QS until you have at least 1000 impressions. Up to that point, QS is pretty much based on the historical CTR for that keyword across all accounts. So, if your ad and keyword are performing lower than others who have used the same keyword, the initial QS for the term would be relatively higher and go down over time.

This is what Laktos told you, just in different terms.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

"With the keyword multipliers availabe that let you easily form thousands of exact keywords that capture pretty much every possible search you would be interested in, is there any reason to use phrase or broad match?" YES.

How many, if any, of those exact match keyword terms a tool generates (any tool), are actually going to result in someone making a purchase from your business? Why put in all the time and effort to build a structure that may never result in a single conversion? If you use one broad/phrase match "head" term as your only seed KW, then review the search terms report data, you will know that all the exact match search terms you may add or exclude from your account, are actually terms that have some relevance to your paying customers.

"Phrase and broad seem to always let in searches that from people who aren't quite aligned with what you have but they click anyway and cost you a click."

Adding a few broad/phrase match negative "head" terms will help to drastically reduce the amount of irrelevant clicks, from non engaged users. 

It's six one way, half a dozen the other. If you have ten exact match terms in one adgroup, all those terms are going to trigger the same set of ads in the adgroup. If that family of terms can be covered by one prhase match keyword, and a few negatives, you've accomplished the same objective using fewer KW's. 

If you have a limited budget, and you already know what the few top of the pyramid exact match terms generate the most revenue, then use only exact match terms, and get the most impression share you can with your available budget. If you are trying to grow and expand, you won't be able to get the most relevant search query term data from only exact match terms. 

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stevea,

Personally I would do the following:

Start with 5 - 15 broad match keywords per ad group.

Run your campaign 7 - 14 days, there after go to the keywords tab and select segment>search term match type and look at the results:

There you can easily compare what match type would serve you the best results and performance.

You can then also click on the see search terms and select all.

Whilst reviewing exactly what the keyphrases were that lead to click throughs, you can choose new keywords and match types from there and also very important ad negative keyphrases from there you identify and know is not relevant to your MWR (Most Wanted Response).

Also add negative keywords from the start on campaign and or ad group level to help improve all over performance.

Hope this helps,

Google Regional Trainer chosen by Google

With over 8 years experience in AdWords and Qualified. From South Africa.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

who said that phrase match will lead to a higher quality score? do you have any reference for that?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: All Exact Keywords vs modified broad match

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

stevea;

This subject has been discussed from every angle possible on this community. If you run a search, you will find plenty of excellent threads . Here are two excellent ones that I find most appealing:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/The-order-of-words-singular-vs-plural-and-oth...

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Broad-vs-Broad/m-p/16982/highlight/true#M26...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

If the purpose of your camaign is to generate relavent traffic then you have no gurantee that exact match is the best way forward.

You would rather start on phrase match (if you are being carefull) and segment your stats after a week or so to identify how many of your impressions / clicks were in fact [exact]. This would also revel any increase in cost or decrease in ad rank. Again, as said above you would also be able to take advantage of the search terms report.

Mid May 2012 both exact and phrase will pick up spelling errors which is a plus. Quality score does not improve on phrase match but your campaign will be jump started through adding negatives unique to your campaign.

However - if you have a low budget then exact might be your only option.

Hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Stevea,

"Someone said that entering a particular keyword as a phrase-match rather than an exact match would give it a higher quality score.  This doesn't make sense, though, to me: an exact match can better merge with the ad."

I am not quite sure I understand what exactly the guy meant. Anyway, I think it might be useful for you to learn that Quality Score does not vary with match type; it displays in fact the very same value for each match type associated with a keyword term. Check on it in your account if you don't believe it ... Robot LOL

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It was just someone who playing around with their account.  Changing some keywords from exact to phrase apparently raised the quality score immediately for those keywords.  The keywords had been phrase for quite a while so maybe had some history with the ag group ad and when switched to exact that history was lost? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Yep, if he switched from exact to phrase he lost history. Chances are that history was really bad and that's why the QS improved.

I'd note that my above entry is applicable to ad groups where multiple match types of the same keyword term are in use simultaneously. In such cases their QS values are identical.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Stevea,

I recall the conversation about changing match types appeared to get a better QS. I explained a bit about this in that thread, I do it again briefly here.

The QS you see in the interface is calculated at that time and is always based on the exact match for the term, so broad, phrase and exact match all in the same ad group will always show the same QS. But that is not the end of the story. QS is calculated for each and every query. It is not static.

When you change match types, the keyword with the old match type is deleted and added as new with the new match type. Perfomance of the keyword within the group doesn't affect QS until you have at least 1000 impressions. Up to that point, QS is pretty much based on the historical CTR for that keyword across all accounts. So, if your ad and keyword are performing lower than others who have used the same keyword, the initial QS for the term would be relatively higher and go down over time.

This is what Laktos told you, just in different terms.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

"With the keyword multipliers availabe that let you easily form thousands of exact keywords that capture pretty much every possible search you would be interested in, is there any reason to use phrase or broad match?" YES.

How many, if any, of those exact match keyword terms a tool generates (any tool), are actually going to result in someone making a purchase from your business? Why put in all the time and effort to build a structure that may never result in a single conversion? If you use one broad/phrase match "head" term as your only seed KW, then review the search terms report data, you will know that all the exact match search terms you may add or exclude from your account, are actually terms that have some relevance to your paying customers.

"Phrase and broad seem to always let in searches that from people who aren't quite aligned with what you have but they click anyway and cost you a click."

Adding a few broad/phrase match negative "head" terms will help to drastically reduce the amount of irrelevant clicks, from non engaged users. 

It's six one way, half a dozen the other. If you have ten exact match terms in one adgroup, all those terms are going to trigger the same set of ads in the adgroup. If that family of terms can be covered by one prhase match keyword, and a few negatives, you've accomplished the same objective using fewer KW's. 

If you have a limited budget, and you already know what the few top of the pyramid exact match terms generate the most revenue, then use only exact match terms, and get the most impression share you can with your available budget. If you are trying to grow and expand, you won't be able to get the most relevant search query term data from only exact match terms. 

Tom