AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords wants me to buy an ad so I can use Keyword Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone help me figure out why my adwords account wants me to purchase an ad before I can use the google keywords search tool?

I don't need to purchase an ad yet. But I do need to search to see which keywords I should focus on in my blog before I advertise.

Can someone help?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords wants me to buy an ad so I can use Keyword Search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

There used to be time in the past when you don't really wanted to create an AdWords account and you could simply use the old keywords tool to access it and get an exhaustive list of keywords. Things have changed and to access Keyword Planner (https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner) you either need to sign up or first create AdWords account and then use this tool.

Also note that creating an AdWords account doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to start spending the money right away. Take your time, skip the billing section (if you want) and straight away access the Keyword Planner from Tools section of the AdWords interface. Later you could think about spending money on AdWords based on your comfortable budget.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick M

My personal belief (this is not confirmed by Google, just a suspicion) is that the ability to search for Keywords without an AdWords Account was removed because of the number of people using it to search for high-value Keywords to use for arbitrage or other shady purposes.  However, as @pankaj1782 has said, you don't actually have to spend anything to get access to the internal tool.

I would add that these days actual keywords don't have that big an influence on performance in terms of AdWords, or even organic SEO.  Google has long known that you cannot base a valuation of a website purely upon the specific words that it contains - it's too easy to spoof - so over the years has concentrated more and more upon developing methods of gauging website quality and relevance that don't rely upon simply the appearance of words on the page.

My advice would be to simply concentrate upon producing high-quality, original content that has a clear theme and you probably won't need to worry at all about making sure this or that keyword appears X times in the text.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's one of my problems... It will not allow me to skip the billing section so I can move on to the keyword planner.

Any idea on how to fix this?