AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords vs Facebook... am I doing this wrong?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I recently decided to switch up some of my ad away from FB and apply it to adwords.

After 6 days and $200/300 Clicks I have no conversion. Plenty of clicks, but no sales from it.

I will not blame adwords, it is of course me and my lack of knowledge. I do need help! Smiley Happy

But here is my concern - Am I doing it wrong? Is my thought process just WAY off here?

FB allows me to target specific customer interest groups. Beach lovers, key west visitors, etc. Honestly, I do it fairly well. I could turn that $200 into $600-$1000 in sales. I would show an ad for a specific beach themed t-shirt, link directly to it, sale made. I am trying adwords differently since I cannot target like that. I am targeting things like Mens Beach T-Shirts, Ladies Beach T-Shirts, Key West T-Shirts, etc etc. I am linking them to a landing page with a few options of our best sellers. These are all text ads. I just think my approach now is wrong.

Idea.....I am thinking I need to target tropical minded people. Get them into our blog. Newsletter page, offer coupon codes/discounts to sign and join our email. Don't push the product, but what the brand represents. Cultivate and get them to know us and eventually they will make a purchase. This is pretty much how we did it on facebook.

Is there value in text ads to bring someone to a site just to get them to join for the content and eventually convert? If so, shy of making landing pages and pop ups, where can I learn the right/wrong ways to do this?

Thanks!
Jay

FYI: Working a bit on google shopping, which may yield better results for us since it can be seen. May be a better option as it is close to the FB ads, which do work for me. Working on remarketing setup, too.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Adwords vs Facebook... am I doing this wrong?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Text ads may work as well, even if not right after the first click, but please pay a lot of attention to keywords, match types and search terms. If people searching for keys or t-shirts see your ads, you get the idea.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason G;

Indeed, targeting audience on Google is broader than on FB. The main reason is that on Google, a machine infers the user interests based on the user behavior, while on FB the user provides FB with  a full list of interests, immediately upon opening a profile page. So, it takes a while until you find (on Google's display)  the right combination of targeting methods to be applied, in order to target the audience "you are after". Further, the settings of this targeting is not as simple as on FB. I agree there is a trial  and error here.

On the other hand, the advantage is that you  have a whole collection of websites  available, while on FB it's a single platform.  Hence the "Reach" on Google's display (for a given interest  or topic) could be far broader than on FB.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Jay.

Further to what Moshe already told you (he rightly pointed out that it's one thing to deduct interests and another to have them declared), another difference is made by the fact that you're using image ads on Facebook and text ads on AdWords. That's pretty much like writing "fresh bread" on a piece of paper and waiting for someone to ask around for bread so you can wave it versus firing up that oven and having people being transported towards it on nothing but the scent of it (the way we see it in cartoons) Smiley Happy.

Have a look at this resource, please https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6306219?hl=en . You'll see how you can combine various targeting criteria and see forecasts about your audience. 

I'm not saying you can't try with text ads on the search network (and shopping ads as well, as you've already said), but you need to be careful with the match type of your keywords. If you use a keyword such as key west t-shirt, in broad match, it will trigger for anything key, west and t-shirt related search queries. You need exact or phrase, or at least modified broad match keywords if you want to restrict the search terms that may get your ads to show.

Have another go at it and let us know how it turns out, please.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for the replies.

So basically I should not focus on text ads so much for my "unknown" brand vs pushing the shopping feed and remarketing since those are image based?
Perhaps text ads would work great if I had an iPhone 6S to sell for $400. Well known product, high demand, available for less than market value. Using text ads to convince someone to buy something they have never seen or heard of is just a tough call?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Text ads may work as well, even if not right after the first click, but please pay a lot of attention to keywords, match types and search terms. If people searching for keys or t-shirts see your ads, you get the idea.