AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords tool is not accepting url with special characters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I want to run a display network campaign for my publisher and the landing page contains special character ( | ) symbol. Adwords tool refused to accept it. 

When I paste it in notepad first and then copy and paste in campaign, adwords accepted it. Notepad replaced all special characters with their respective ASCII code. For E.g,  it replaced all | symbols with %7C.

So I have a question, would this have any impact on clicks or conversion tracking?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vikram S,

As long as there is nothing shady occurring, you should not have any problems.  If the URL resolves as it should, everything should work as expected.  

One caveat is that I have no insights to any adjustments your web server may be making to URLs.  I would strongly suggest you test any tracking that you plan on implementing to ensure that you're not losing anything.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vikram S,

All special characters in your URL must be URL encoded. Your web server will decode those characters in the query string. As Tommy says, this should not impact clicks or conversion tracking.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords