AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there.

I did ask this before but I cannot find the answer now again, sorry.

How do I use the "+" option when setting up adwords and what is the advantage and uses?

ie. door +protection + extreme +vandal

Many thanks, Wayne.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wayne John H
December 2016

Adwords setup

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Wayne, using the + sign in a keyword creates a "modified" broad match.  It means that the word, or a close variation of it must be used within the search term in order to match with the keyword triggering display of your ad. 

It is a tighter form of matching that "broad match".  Broad match can be a little treacherous because it matches to a lot of search terms which are quite different than the keyword. They call it broad match for a reason!

When using modified broad match, you can apply the + sign to some of the words in a keyword, but not others.  For example, you could use:

+door +protection extreme vandal

or 

door protection +extreme +vandal

And they would match quite differently.  So modified broad match is a powerful tool to sculpt how your keywords match to search terms. 

This Google article might be helpful:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Best of luck with your campaign. 

View solution in original post

Adword options upon setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there.

I did ask this before but I cannot find the answer now again, sorry.

How do I use the "+" option when setting up adwords and what is the advantage and uses?

ie. door +protection + extreme +vandal

Many thanks, Wayne.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wayne John H
December 2016

Adwords setup

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Wayne, using the + sign in a keyword creates a "modified" broad match.  It means that the word, or a close variation of it must be used within the search term in order to match with the keyword triggering display of your ad. 

It is a tighter form of matching that "broad match".  Broad match can be a little treacherous because it matches to a lot of search terms which are quite different than the keyword. They call it broad match for a reason!

When using modified broad match, you can apply the + sign to some of the words in a keyword, but not others.  For example, you could use:

+door +protection extreme vandal

or 

door protection +extreme +vandal

And they would match quite differently.  So modified broad match is a powerful tool to sculpt how your keywords match to search terms. 

This Google article might be helpful:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Best of luck with your campaign. 

Adwords setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks Steve. I get it now.

Adwords setup

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great.  You'll find modified broad match to be a useful tool. 

I like to use modified broad match sort of as "fishing lures".  I set them up so they attract likely search terms, then monitor what search terms are matching up against them.  I then deploy those search terms as more narrowly targeted phrase match, exact match, and negative keywords.  Usually after a couple of months I can phase out the modified broad match keywords in order to arrive at a more narrowly targeted campaign.  Sometimes they are profitable enough to keep though, it depends upon the nature of the market for that keyword. 

hth