AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords say Some one is Actively Running Traffic to my Site: Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I called Adwords today to get setup with their free service to help get started with a new account and help with it for 30 days. In the call, they said some one else was sending traffic to this site already.

This site only get a 20 visits a day. There is no weird behavior and with analytics I can see most of the traffic coming in and verify it.

Anyway, Google says they cant help because I do not have access to that account.

Is there a fix for this? What a weird problem to have.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Adwords say Some one is Actively Running Traffic to my Site: Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ononer12,

For the most part, you cannot have multiple AdWords accounts promoting the same website it's called Double Serving...do you or the 3rd party still have the other account running?  You can probably cancel the first account and then open a new one.  They may not offer the same service to you though as you have definitely had an AdWords account before.  Some conditions may apply to the 'help' they will offer like "New first time accounts only".

How did this turn out for you? https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Please-Help-w-my-Situation-Mov...

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ononer12,

Yes, that certainly is weird.

The first thing I would suggest is to look through your web logs for evidence of AdWords traffic. The best way to do that is to look for a gclid value in the query string. If there is a value, that's AdWords traffic.

I'm going to guess you didn't find anything there. The next thing I'm wondering about is if there is possibly a different website with a very similar name, but a different spelling the Google rep. could have mistaken as your web site?

Strange days!

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OMG! I think you are right. There was another site with a plural version of ours, but the destination URL in the ad shows our website. But, it does not go to our site

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi ononer12,

That is borderline impossible, can you grab a screenshot of that and the URL you end up at upon clicking the ad? 

First, I think you are referring to the Display URL showing your site? - the one in the ad itself.  But the problem with that logic is that according to policy, the Destination URL (actual website users end up at) and the Display URL must match.

"The display URL in your ad must match the domain users will land on when they click on your ad. For example, if the website you're advertising is using the domain "example.com," your ad's display URL must also contain "example.com.""

I'm also fairly certain that the AdWords interface catches these errors prior to publishing any ads.

Is this situation you are referring to today regarding the same site you were asking about yesterday that is managed by the 3rd party?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bossman Its not the same site. I called google and spoke to two different people and they said it was okay to run it on a new account. This is the site I want to run as the test.

And yes, I meant display URL. It doesnt do it anymore, but it used to and I never thought anything of it. When I look at my site on spyfu it shows clicks and budget for Adwords up to August of last year, when clearly we never ran an ad, but that was when the other site had our URL in the dispplay URL. 

Is it possible, they have accidentally misspelled their domain name the destination URL in one of their ads? There site is the plural version of our site - one letter difference.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Ok.  So you have two completely separate domains/websites and approval to open a second account. 

Are both of these sites promoted in your existing AdWords account or were they ever, even one ad?

-Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The new site has never been promoted... at least not by us Smiley Happy

I added more info to my last post.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

That could be your problem then.  AdWords sticks like glue...there could have been another owner advertising for that site at some point and left their AdWords account alone to still contain that domain information.

-Tom

EDIT:  I failed to mention, if the mysterious AdWords account was in good standing, I don't see why that would stop you from opening an account to promote it.  But, if it ended badly you may never be able to recover.  Domains are what carry the history.  The previous history could keep Google from helping you as a Newbie however, I'm really not sure but based on your experience earlier, I would guess that is a safe bet.