AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords recommends splitting my ad group into five smaller groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few days ago I started a new Adwords campaign for a new site. I began with one ad group and 50 keywords. Today there is a message from adwords opportunities offering to create 4 new ad groups (plus keep the original group), by separating the existing keywords into a set for each group.

Does anyone know if this requires manual approvals for the new ads and groups before they are activated? Or is the entire process automatic, and will take effect instantly, without waiting for manual approvals?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Billy W,

The automated opportunities are always something you have to balance with your own wants and wishes. Sometimes they are great and other times they are not.  

With that said, 50 keywords in any ad group is too much. I would consider 15 as maxed out... and 7 being more prime. Many masters of AdWords will say to have 3-5 keywords per ad group... but hardly any would say to have more than 20.  

As for approvals, anytime an ad is created or touched, it has to be approved. If you simply use their suggestions for keywords and ad groups and use existing ads (they will show them with the other suggestions), then those ads are already approved and are put to use right away. 

And the longer you operate the account, the easier and faster approvals come in. The systems learns from you and your behavior. This is why you always want to be professional and smart with your AdWords' actions. You want to be consistent with acting in the best way (although you may not know what that is until later).

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Google clusters keywords - I see that when the same minimum bid applies to multiple keywords in an ad group.

Google will have identified that there are multiple clusters in your ad group. I would expect that if you reduced the bid of all your keywords to $0.01 you will see the clusters via the minimum bids.

The idea of ad groups is that ads should be relevant to keywords. If you think the same ad copy is the best fit for all 50 keywords, leave it as it is. But if you can write more relevant ad copy for certain keywords, then they should be in their own ad group.

Because you are writing the ad copy, you will know which keywords should have their own ad groups. Therefore taking this action yourself is preferred over any automated solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I clicked "apply" and it created the new ad groups. But it says that the ad in all four new groups is "Under review", even though it is exactly the same as my original ad in the original ad group, which had already been approved.

This isn't what I hoped for, since I didn't want to have any more reviews this early in the campaign. But it's too late now to do anything.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All the new ads were approved, so it came out okay. This should  give me more flexibility in the future. Eventually I should be able to make new ads that are better matches for the separate keyword groups. But I'm going to leave eveything exactly as it is for at least a few weeks before I do anything else.