AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords landing page experience score broken?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Across all my campaigns my landing page score seem to have fallen "below average" after I introduced a responsive layout. (Which I have tested on a variety of mobile browsers to ensure looks correct.) That was rather unexpected as I had hoped for a small increase instead Smiley Happy

The problem also exists when bidding for my product name (using phrase match) - and those product pages are very complete with information etc.

I feel I satisfy all points here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

So... Any ideas on where to go from here? I don't mind giving example URLs, either in private (preferred) or in forum here.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords landing page experience score broken?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi TommyDK,

Landing page score is one of the big AdWords mysteries. They don't really tell what they're looking at or looking for on a page.

Did you have a link to your privacy policy on the old pages that's missing on the new pages? I'm pretty sure that's still a requirement for certain sites.

Did the display URL domain change? That could have this effect.

I can take a look at one of your landing pages and see if I spot anything, but we're all guessing a little bit on what a good "user experience" actually is.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The actual URL, display url etc. is the same. I am also linking to the privacy policy the same way as always at the botttom of the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm curious if you ever figured out what caused your drop in landing page experience? If not, perhaps it has to do with how you have implemented your responsive layout - has it increased your page load times, for instance? Or perhaps you now have a bunch of additional code at the start of your pages that has pushed your core page information down? If you feel confident you're meeting the Adwords landing page experience guidelines, you may want to turn your attention to Google's 'best coding practices' to see if you're violating some of those. Nobody knows Google's algorithm's, of course, but I for one suspect that they do account for how well a page is coded, either directly or indirectly, when assessing landing page experience.