Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords is Disheartening

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I get good CTR (up to 8%) and average $0.01 per click, so I am content with my performance.  The problem is that my Adwords clicks ALWAYS exceeds by a significant margin, the paid clicks recorded by Google Analytics.

Always.  By a significant margin!!!

Consequently, I feel more and more disheartened by Adwords.  I feel I am not being billed fairly.  The point of this post is to voice my growing pent-up frustration with this major (and costly) DAILY discrepancies between Adwords and Analytics.

The bottom line is, when a click is billed on Adwords, I want to see the click show up on the Live view of Analytics, or at least, have Analytics record the click coming from Adwords.  All the excuses and explanations in the documentation and forums and so forth, don't ease my growing frustration.  I need to SEE a direct correlation between Adwords and Analytics.

This is just not right!

My browser was set to open Adwords and Analytics upon startup.  I don't bother with Adwords at startup anymore because the discrepancies are unbearable.

This is just not right!

Not right at all because this is DAILY billable discrepancies!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Adwords is Disheartening

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Up-n-Kamin,

You will get discrepencies as they do not track the same things. AdWords tracks clicks where analytics tracks visits.

How big a difference are you seeing?

Have a read of the following page and let me know if this helps explain things.

Data Discrepancies Between Analytics and AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

>  How big a difference are you seeing?

About 100%.

If Adwords shows 2X clicks,  Analytics shows about X visits from source = google/cpc.  Always!

When I see that EVERY DAY, I wonder why I am billed 2X clicks when Analytics shows about X visits from source = google/cpc.

I have read the document on discrepancies.  I am familiar with it, but still doesn't  ease my concern.  I just may have to end my long relationship with Adwords after my funds are exhausted.

If a CLICK doesn not result in a VISIT, then what am I being billed for?  The clicker didn't see my site, so what am I being billed for?  I don't like this situation at all, given the margin of the discrepancies.  This is just not right.  Not right!

FURTHERMORE!!!!  Adwords clicks exceeds ALL my Analytics visits, which includes cpc, direct, organic, and referral visits.  ALL of them combined are still less then the Adwords clicks on any given day.

This is just not right.  Not right at all!!!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Up-n-Kamin,

This is quite a common occurrence.. Rest assured AdWords is not charging you any extra money. There is a difference in tracking between Adwords and analytics... and everyone has discrepencies in their data.

I undertand your concern since you have a 2x increase.. I would suggest that you go through this trouble shooting guide

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

>  Hope this helps!

No, it didn't.

If a CLICK doesn not result in a VISIT, then what am I being billed for?  The clicker didn't see my site, so what am I being billed for?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

On the landing pages that you are getting these clicks for... could you please verify the implementation of the GA code.

share the landing page URL here if you dont mind, so that we can have a look.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I use Google Sites, and so it's just a matter of checking the box  'Enable Google Analytics for this site'  and then pasting my Analytics Web Property ID in the field. I don't have to manually paste the GA code on every page.

I have deleted my URLs because I don't want them in search results.

----------

If the Analytics stats were slightly off, then I wouldn't mind, but it's waaaay off.  Every day!  By at least 100%.  If my PPC + direct + referral + organic traffic = X  VISITS,  Adwords bills me at least,  2X CLICKS every single day.  That's just not right!  Not right at all!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For my ahiadze.com site,  as I type this:

Google Analytics shows  9 google/cpc  +  2 google/organic  =  11 total VISITS

Google Adwords has billed me for  19 CLICKS

19 !!!!

The discrepancy will be unbearable by the end of the day as usual.

------------------

What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?  What is going on?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

HI Up-n-Kamin,

I suggest focusing on Return on Investment, not on individual clicks and visits.  They're never going to be the same, because they're measuring different things.

You say you're paying about $0.01 per click.  If you're seeing 2 AdWords clicks for each "visit" reported by Analytics, that means you're paying about $0.02 per visit.

The question I think you should be asking yourself is whether you are getting a good return on that $0.02.  Does spending that money bring in sales that lead to more than $0.02 in profit for you?  If so, I think you're focusing too much on the discrepancy between "click" and "visit" and not enough on the fact that you're making money.

A good way to focus in on this is to track your cost per conversion as well as your cost per click.  A conversion is usually a sale, but it can be a or phone call or anything else you consider a successful outcome when your ad is shown.  AdWords allows you to track conversions directly, so you can see the cost directly in the AdWords UI, sorted by keyword, ad, or whatever.  I've never actually set it up myself, but I think all you have to do is enable the feature and then embed some JavaScript code on your checkout page to tell us when a conversion happens.

Summary: focus on ROI, not on individual clicks.  If you're making enough money from your spending on AdWords, then good.  Spend your time optimizing your campaigns, trying different keywords and bids, etc. rather than on the differences between AdWords and Analytics.

Laura

Google AdWords engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Stop avoiding the issue. This guy is being charged 2x his bid for 1 legitimate visit. This is illegal and if Google Adwords Users can prove that you are adding clicks and thereby overcharging then I'ld say Google is opening itself to a class action lawsuit at the very least.