Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords for video Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I have a few questions on AdWords for video if you can help me :-)

How do you run keyword only targeting on Video Campaigns?
I have split ads into InStream, InDisplay and InSearch, then added  InStream, InDisplay and InSearch with the same keywords for each. They have around 90 per group. When I view the reporting it seems none of the keywords are gaining impressions. Though my InStream Target Group has 1314 impressions, 173 views and 19 web site clicks

What is the best way to set up a campaign structure for testing different videos/ad copy/ etc?
How do you link Adwords and youtube when using MMC accounts? And is there any conflict?
How do you capture website visits from Video Campaigns in Google Analytics?
Should my Adwords for video views correlate with my Youtube views?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Danny.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords for video Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Quote:

>>"How do you run keyword only targeting on Video Campaigns?....then added  InStream, InDisplay and InSearch with the same keywords for each. They have around 90 per group."

On the display network you don't need that many keywords; On the contrary; too many might not work in an optimal way; I tend not pick not  more than 10.

The idea with keywords on the display network is to define a theme that is determined by a set of keywords, This theme is matched with relevant pages / videos in which your ads are shown;

Read more:

Choose keywords for your Display Network campaigns

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe,

Spoke with support today and thought I might as well add what they mentioned as it maybe user for members here...

As mentioned, here are the answers to the questions. I have segregated them for your convenience Smiley Happy

How do you run keyword only targeting on Video Campaigns?
Danny, you can run keyword only campaigns on InSearch and InDisplay campaigns only. To only target campaigns using keywords only, you can simply remove all other forms of targeting like topics, interests and demographics.

Why are none of the keywords are gaining impressions ?
The keywords are not getting impressions in In Display and In Search because these targeting groups are not getting any impressions since the max CPV is low. For In Stream, the targeting group is getting impressions, but since In Stream does not work with keywords, the impressions and views are not getting recorded for the keywords.

What is the best way to set up a campaign structure for testing different videos/ad copy/ etc?
As mentioned over the call, the type of targeting groups (InStream, InSearch and InDisplay) that you have setup is good. In this targeting, you just need to optimize the targeting options.

For example, InStream should have a Topic targeting or an Interest Targeting in place. Similarly, InSearch works best with YouTube Search keywords.

For InDisplay, you can use a combination of both to achieve good results Smiley Happy

To know more about optimizing video campaigns, please visit Tips for optimizing your video campaign.

How do you link Adwords and youtube when using MCC accounts? And is there any conflict?
As mentioned, you cannot link YouTube and MCC accounts. However, you can link YouTube accounts to individual AdWords accounts.

This could also be quiet useful when members struggling with Website Click data...

We apologize that we cannot yet provide you with accurate reporting in Google Analytics for website traffic coming from video ad clicks. Please be assured that our engineers are working hard to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Since the video player container is currently causing query parameters on ad Destination URLs to be stripped, we recommend the following approach for creating trackable video ads:

Use the Google Analytics URL builder to construct manually tagged Destination URLs for your video ads.
For Visits to appear under the Traffic Sources > Advertising reports in Google Analytics, the following manual tags are mandatory:
utm_source = google
utm_medium = cpc
To make it easier to compare Video Visits with the Clicks data pulled in via the AdWords link, it is recommended you use:
utm_term = exact string of the keyword set in AdWords
utm_content = either the ad title (if only 1 ad group being used) or ad group in AdWords
utm_campaign = exact string of the campaign name in AdWords
Use goo.gl to 'package' the Destination URL as a shortlink.
Use the shortlink as the Destination URL for the campaign in AdWords.
This solution allows the tracking tags to be passed successfully through the Video player to the Google Analytics code on the advertiser's website.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

When I view the reporting it seems none of the keywords are gaining impressions.

Please check if any of your other target have gained impressions. You may have choosen some target groups unintentionally (happened to me!). Check "Demography", do you see a lot of impressions and clicks for different age groups?

When you say that you use keywords, do you mean keywords for search, or keywords for content (display)?

There is a difference between those targeting methods in AdWords for Video.

How do you link Adwords and youtube when using MMC accounts? And is there any conflict?

You can only link those on account-level, not MCC.

How do you capture website visits from Video Campaigns in Google Analytics?

Seems like auto-tagging is only working to some degree with AdWords for Video. Remember there is a difference on clicks on video (In-Stream) and on overlay (other formats). Some of those need to be tagged manually, I am not sure which one.

Should my Adwords for video views correlate with my Youtube views?

Not necessarily. You will probably have more YouTube-views (as ad-views are counted in YouTube, but YouTube-views in AdWords)

Hoped that helped a little

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Danny, I should have reloaded my webpage before starting to write. Now I can see you got the (or some) answers from support.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey David,

Thanks for taking time out and writing back. I got a call from a Google rep regarding something else so took the opportunity to ask the above questions.

Again, thank you for taking time out to follow up on my questions :-)

Hope you are well.

Regards,

Danny.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

OOPS;

I got confused; wanted to write one thing and came out with another;

Deleted;

@Danny;

Thank for sharing that;

I disagree a bit about using keywords for In-stream, The documentation does not recommend; but it is possible;

>>Avoid using keyword targeting for your campaign, since this could significantly limit how often your ads are shown.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375498?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the link Moshe, I will have a good read.

Thanks again!

Danny.