Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords for Amazon?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am interested in setting up an adwords account for a book that is selling on Amazon.  Are there any issues that I should be aware of before I set this up.  Would I just use the url of the book on amazon as the landing url?

Thanks,

Peter

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Petersocal
September 2015

Re: Adwords for Amazon?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Petersocal,

Yes, you can use url of the book on amazon as the landing url, but make sure your Display Url must have same domain name which is www.amazon.com.

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

In principle, one can advertise Amazon (or any site). In reality, it's not possible, because Amazon, not Google, forbids it: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/promo/paidsearch. So, as far as AdWords goes, Dinesh is right. One could advertise it, the issue though lies with Amazon.

One does not need to have her own website to advertise, but can advertise other websites, as well. Affiliates still try to do it, and point users, via a redirect page, to the main site.

One famous example was Thesis, the WordPress theme, whose affiliates used (and maybe still use) Display advertising to promote its sale. Those affiliates do not own DIYThemes, yet they advertise it. They send people to a shareasale URL with their affiliate code in it, and then the user arrives on the DIYThemes website, where sometimes a sale is recorded.

The problem is that whenever someone advertises a website which she cannot control, she might get suspended, in case that website does not follow AdWords' advertising policies.

It is the responsibility of the advertiser to advertise a compliant website.

As for the third party shopping cart Analytics tracking, it can only track a conversion if the visitor goes to the third party shopping cart, converts, and then returns to the original website, to the thank you page, where the conversion is recorded.

If you only track an outbound link, towards Amazon in this case, all you know is that the visitor left your website towards Amazon. You won't know if the conversion was recorded, at least not in Google Analytics. You might know it in your Amazon's account, but you won't know which visitor converted.

And the most important thing, if you build your own website in order to sell your Amazon products, and promote it with AdWords, is that you will be suspended for violating the bridge policy: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190435

A bridge page, also known as a doorway page, is a web page created for the main purpose of sending visitors to a different site.

So: don't advertise Amazon directly, don't create a website with the sole purpose of driving AdWords visitors to Amazon. In the first case it's Amazon who's going to shut down your account, in the second case it's Google who'll shut the door in your face.

Sorry I can't be of any help other than preventing some potential damage.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same question, which I will ask differently. Our company has an Amazon WEBSTORE. This is a website. I believe using one of Googles methods of verification, we could VERIFY the site, and it would be legitimate (within GOOGLE's terms of service) for us to send traffic to that site.

With regards to a particular product listing on Amazon, I cannot see how you would be able to verify the site as "yours". First of all - it is not owned by the advertiser, and second there would be no method inside the Amazon listing for you to verify the site.

Did this help?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Petersocal,

Yes, you can use url of the book on amazon as the landing url, but make sure your Display Url must have same domain name which is www.amazon.com.

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Petersocal,

I am afraid but my opinion is different on this. First basic requisite of Adwords is your own website or a simple web page which describes your service/product, where the users is directed after clicking your ad. See this old thread for details.

If I would have been in your place, I would have created my own website describing about the books and all and then using Google Analytics to track Ecommerce Transactions happening across 3rd party shopping carts.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

In principle, one can advertise Amazon (or any site). In reality, it's not possible, because Amazon, not Google, forbids it: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/promo/paidsearch. So, as far as AdWords goes, Dinesh is right. One could advertise it, the issue though lies with Amazon.

One does not need to have her own website to advertise, but can advertise other websites, as well. Affiliates still try to do it, and point users, via a redirect page, to the main site.

One famous example was Thesis, the WordPress theme, whose affiliates used (and maybe still use) Display advertising to promote its sale. Those affiliates do not own DIYThemes, yet they advertise it. They send people to a shareasale URL with their affiliate code in it, and then the user arrives on the DIYThemes website, where sometimes a sale is recorded.

The problem is that whenever someone advertises a website which she cannot control, she might get suspended, in case that website does not follow AdWords' advertising policies.

It is the responsibility of the advertiser to advertise a compliant website.

As for the third party shopping cart Analytics tracking, it can only track a conversion if the visitor goes to the third party shopping cart, converts, and then returns to the original website, to the thank you page, where the conversion is recorded.

If you only track an outbound link, towards Amazon in this case, all you know is that the visitor left your website towards Amazon. You won't know if the conversion was recorded, at least not in Google Analytics. You might know it in your Amazon's account, but you won't know which visitor converted.

And the most important thing, if you build your own website in order to sell your Amazon products, and promote it with AdWords, is that you will be suspended for violating the bridge policy: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190435

A bridge page, also known as a doorway page, is a web page created for the main purpose of sending visitors to a different site.

So: don't advertise Amazon directly, don't create a website with the sole purpose of driving AdWords visitors to Amazon. In the first case it's Amazon who's going to shut down your account, in the second case it's Google who'll shut the door in your face.

Sorry I can't be of any help other than preventing some potential damage.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies...  Just to be clear, we are not looking to make money from amazon affiliate programs.  We are looking to promote a book we have selling on amazon.  Our revenue would come from book sales.  In this example would we have any issues with Amazon?

Thanks,

Peter

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Peter,

In addition to Calin's great essay that I fully agree with and your recent entry I'd like add the foolowing note.

From time to time in the old forum and the yet older community we used to meet random askers who were Amazon Affiliates. That way we took records of the most frequent problems they had to face. Whether Amazon's terms and conditions Calin linked you to are applicable to the specific Amazon program you participate in is beyond our expertise and off topic in this forum. Calin did his best to warn you of a possible risk but we are not here to educate readers about Amazon's ins and outs. You're advised to contact directly Amazon's own customer service or read their TOS.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos...

Just to be clear again.  I did NOT ask about Amazon's TOS...or Amazon Afflilate program.  I asked if there were any adwords issues I should be aware of when creating an adwords account pointing to a URL on Amazon.  Of course this is not the place to ask about Amazon policy...but it is the place to ask about Google Adwords policy...which is what I did.  

My question was...and is...simply is there any problem with setting up an anwords account pointing to an URL on Amazon.   Does Google have any issue with this?

Thanks,

Peter

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Peter,

Without going into any complexities of afflilates and all, I would just like to point one reference Adwords help center article by Google which clearly says that you do need a website to promote on Adwords. And in case you don't own one, simply create it using any of the mutilple options available on the internet.

I would also advice you to directly contact the Adwords support here because they are the ones who actually approves or disapproves the Adwords account based on their policies.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Peter, the article linked to by Pankaj states the following

To advertise with Google AdWords, you need to have a website that you want to promote.

I'm neither a legal expert, nor a native English speaker, but to me that does not sound like "you need to have your own website you want to promote".

In theory, you could create an ad pointing to your page on Amazon, though it's highly likely that Amazon is a trademark and you won't be able to create ads such as "Here's our great book, buy it from Amazon at an introductory price. Offer expires on March 15th".

Apart from that, you won't be able to track anything other than outbound clicks and sales on Amazon.

Having said all that, Pankaj was right when he told you that this is something you could ask support about. Get them on the phone, or fill in the form and ask them if you can advertise your product, on amazon's page. If they tell you you can, you can give it a shot.

It would be great if you'd return to tell us what answer you got, and if you're managing to get an ad shown for your book.

I am a bit skeptical regarding Amazon's reaction though, I do not see why they would disallow their affiliates from advertising, and would allow book owners to do that.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Peter,

>> To advertise with Google AdWords, you need to have a website that you want to promote. <<

Calin is quite precise. The website the help page mentions is the website you link the ad copy to. Google does not examine or care for ownership. Myself created ad copies for entries in wikipedia a few times. There was no issue at all even though I don't *own* wikipedia.

I also second Calin's skepticism about Amazon's relationship to Google and finally would like to apologize for the tone of my previous entry.

Best,

Lakatos