AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor uploading CSV, BMM keywords show as #name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I have just added new broad match modified keywords to my campaigns. When I save the sheet as a .csv, adwords editor skips all the BMM keywords.

When the sheet is opened in Excel, all the cells which contains a BMM keywords (starting with +) show as #NAME?

Thanks,

Akash

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akash M
September 2015

Re: Adwords editor uploading CSV, BMM keywords show as #name

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
It would not. Editor strips leading and trailing spaces on import, in part because of this issue.

Similarly, when you export to CSV from Editor, it will add a space in front of any piece of text that starts with '+', '-' or '=' - specifically so that Excel doesn't get confused if it opens this file later.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Akash

Just replace the = sign with blank. Press Ctrl+H, type = in Find what: text box and leave Replace with: as blank. Please look at the screenshot, it will solve out the issue.

exce.jpg

Abhishek

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
In Excel, add a space before the plus sign. Otherwise, Excel thinks it's a formula, and tries to evaluate it.

The same happens when the first character is a minus sign '-' or an equal sign '=', but a plus is more common in practice - in particular with BMM.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hey,

Would the additional space before the BMM keyword throw an error when uploading through adwords editor?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akash M
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
It would not. Editor strips leading and trailing spaces on import, in part because of this issue.

Similarly, when you export to CSV from Editor, it will add a space in front of any piece of text that starts with '+', '-' or '=' - specifically so that Excel doesn't get confused if it opens this file later.