Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor uploading CSV, BMM keywords show as #name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I have just added new broad match modified keywords to my campaigns. When I save the sheet as a .csv, adwords editor skips all the BMM keywords.

When the sheet is opened in Excel, all the cells which contains a BMM keywords (starting with +) show as #NAME?

Thanks,

Akash

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords editor uploading CSV, BMM keywords show as #name

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Akash

Just replace the = sign with blank. Press Ctrl+H, type = in Find what: text box and leave Replace with: as blank. Please look at the screenshot, it will solve out the issue.

exce.jpg

Abhishek

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
In Excel, add a space before the plus sign. Otherwise, Excel thinks it's a formula, and tries to evaluate it.

The same happens when the first character is a minus sign '-' or an equal sign '=', but a plus is more common in practice - in particular with BMM.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hey,

Would the additional space before the BMM keyword throw an error when uploading through adwords editor?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akash M
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
It would not. Editor strips leading and trailing spaces on import, in part because of this issue.

Similarly, when you export to CSV from Editor, it will add a space in front of any piece of text that starts with '+', '-' or '=' - specifically so that Excel doesn't get confused if it opens this file later.