4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor showing Max. CPC as auto

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords editor showing Max. CPC as auto which I am unable to change through editor but the manual bidding can be done through interface seamlessly. Please help guys as I am unable to find the solution of this problem. Thanks in advance..

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Adwords editor showing Max. CPC as auto

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Most likely, you have taken advantage of the newly introduced flexible bidding, which allows one to specify bidding strategies on individual ad groups and keywords.

However, Editor doesn't support flexible bidding at this time. It labors under assumption that a campaign and everything under it uses the same type of bids. Bidding strategy overrides violate this assumption; as soon as Editor sees one, it disables bid management for the whole campaign, for fear of doing harm by accident.

In Editor, under Campaigns tab, see what is shown under Bidding Option column for this campaign. If it says Unknown, then the problem is indeed flexible bidding.

If you would rather be able to manage your bids in Editor, you will have to remove all bidding overrides. In the online interface, select ad groups or keywords where you placed the override previously, click Bid Strategy, and select "Use default bid strategy" from the drop-down menu.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahul D
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had a slight variant of the problem. My keywords had been opted into keyword level bid strats and I had to set them back to Campaign/AdGroup level.

So I had to follow a slightly different method:

1) Open account in Adwords, not Editor, and navigate to the Keywords tab.
2) Select all of the keywords across all pages
3) Click Bid Strategy
4) Select Use Campaign or Ad Group Bid Strategy

Then remove the Account from Editor and re-add it. This sorted everything out for me.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
It may be that the last time you used the "download changes" button in Editor, your campaign was using some kind of automated bidding option? Have you tried downloading changes from the UI, to sync the two copies of your account?

If that doesn't work, try removing the AdWords account from your Editor and then adding it again. (You'll lose any "comments" or notes you've made in the account, but this should solve the problem.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Most likely, you have taken advantage of the newly introduced flexible bidding, which allows one to specify bidding strategies on individual ad groups and keywords.

However, Editor doesn't support flexible bidding at this time. It labors under assumption that a campaign and everything under it uses the same type of bids. Bidding strategy overrides violate this assumption; as soon as Editor sees one, it disables bid management for the whole campaign, for fear of doing harm by accident.

In Editor, under Campaigns tab, see what is shown under Bidding Option column for this campaign. If it says Unknown, then the problem is indeed flexible bidding.

If you would rather be able to manage your bids in Editor, you will have to remove all bidding overrides. In the online interface, select ad groups or keywords where you placed the override previously, click Bid Strategy, and select "Use default bid strategy" from the drop-down menu.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do go back to adwords and set all the campaign/Adgroup and keyword to use default bidding strategy. Afterwards, I go back to adwords editor again and synchronize all the campaign again. However, in the campaign tab, it still showed the bidding option as "Unknown" again.

I am very frustrated as I need to use Adwords editor to so a lot of keyword and bidprice changes.

Thank for all of your help.......

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
You must have missed some. Perhaps some deleted ad groups, which are hidden by default in the online interface.

See this thread for a similar discussion: it describes the procedure by which one can quickly find all bidding overrides.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/problems-changing-the-default-max-cpc-bid/m-p/206...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

YEAH!.

I finally clear all the bid-overriding keywords and adgroup. The mentioned method works!

Thanks a lot a lot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, this is now an issue for me and my colleagues. We have tried all of the instructions in this thread with no improvement. Do you have any other suggestions?

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Have you followed the instructions in the other thread I linked to, a couple messages up? If you did and it didn't help, then it's possible you are having some different issue. In which case, please describe the problem you are seeing.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahul D
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had a slight variant of the problem. My keywords had been opted into keyword level bid strats and I had to set them back to Campaign/AdGroup level.

So I had to follow a slightly different method:

1) Open account in Adwords, not Editor, and navigate to the Keywords tab.
2) Select all of the keywords across all pages
3) Click Bid Strategy
4) Select Use Campaign or Ad Group Bid Strategy

Then remove the Account from Editor and re-add it. This sorted everything out for me.