Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords dynamic keywords change to ascii characters in Final URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi fellow community members.

I'm trying to add a dynamic parameter to my Final URL in adwords but the "{}" keeps getting converted to ascii %7B and %7D

e.g. visit.puravida-retreat.com?destination={KeyWord:Costa Rica} gets changed to visit.puravida-retreat.com?destination=%7BKeyWord:Costa Rica%7D

We're building our landing pages in Unbounce and this is their sample URL for inserting adwords dynamic keywords into the URL

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here please? Or if there is a thread that's already answered my questions. I've searched but I can't find a solution in the community.

Cheers,

Andre

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bhanuka G
September 2015

Re: Adwords dynamic keywords change to ascii characters in Final URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

You are using DKI syntax in the URL when you want Value Track. That won't work. Try it like this:

visit.puravida-retreat.com?destination={keyword}

That should return the keyword on which you bid that triggered the ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Andre,

As petebardo mentioned, you're looking for what's called "ValueTrack", not dynamic keywords insertion.

Dynamic Keyword Insertion, or DKI, is all about getting the keyword that is triggered to be inserted into your text ad. ValueTrack on the other hand, is about passing various parameters in the URL for Unbounce or any other system to pick up.

Here's a handy list of available ValueTrack parameters that you can use in your URLs: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?vid=null#params

All sorts of cool stuff you can do with this - eg. wrote a post about "artificial relevancy" on landing pages here: https://altus.io/blog/increase-your-landing-page-conversion-rate-with-artificial-relevancy/

Hope this is helpful!

Guillaume

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

You are using DKI syntax in the URL when you want Value Track. That won't work. Try it like this:

visit.puravida-retreat.com?destination={keyword}

That should return the keyword on which you bid that triggered the ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Andre,

As petebardo mentioned, you're looking for what's called "ValueTrack", not dynamic keywords insertion.

Dynamic Keyword Insertion, or DKI, is all about getting the keyword that is triggered to be inserted into your text ad. ValueTrack on the other hand, is about passing various parameters in the URL for Unbounce or any other system to pick up.

Here's a handy list of available ValueTrack parameters that you can use in your URLs: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?vid=null#params

All sorts of cool stuff you can do with this - eg. wrote a post about "artificial relevancy" on landing pages here: https://altus.io/blog/increase-your-landing-page-conversion-rate-with-artificial-relevancy/

Hope this is helpful!

Guillaume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Peter.

I was having issues even after I changed it but it turns out that the ads and landing pages work perfectly once they're set live.

Cheers.

Andre

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the solution and for the additional info Guillaume.

I've bookmarked the ValueTrack parameters page now for future reference.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

If you click on the link for the ad from the AW UI, the values are not replaced, so you would still get the URL encoded string. Glad you got it straightened out.

Pete