AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords With Redirected Domain URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My main URL is:

I also have a URL that is setup at my domain provider to automatically redirect to my main url:

For branding reasons I want my Adwords ads to so display and link to  mynamebusinessheadshots.com.  The content and everything is identical... the only difference is the domain displayed on AdWords.

Will I get penalized in any way by Adwords for doing this?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, despite this being a legitimate business decision - I don't think Google's bots will distinguish it from a more sinister redirect...

The page where a visitor lands must be on the same domain that is in the AdWords ad... and, clearly, in this case it will not be.

I know you'd hoped the answer would be that it's all OK,  Google will understand... but it's not.

Please remember, though, that this is done to protect us as both advertisers and users from people trying to play the system.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi GoldtopLP,

The display URL domain must be the same as the destination after all redirects. If you want to show  mynamebusinessheadshots.com as the display URL, visitors will have to stop there before forwarding to your main site. Your server platform determines how to do this or if it's even possible. On Apache you should be able to set up a rule that only forwards traffic if the query string does not include a gclid. On windows, I'd set this up as a mirror site instead of a redirect. Then use fully qualified URL's so clicks go to the main site.

A side note, I may be pulling out my Gold Top this week.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords