Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords V Business maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Advise from an old pro with Google Ad words

I have used Google ad words for about 8 years, it's been very good, Or has it?

Now when I use my phone or tablet to search my business I find that the unpaid Google map Businesses are the first thing your drawn to and with a "click to call" button it's what most people use.

I use a "Click to Call" button on my Ad Words Too.

Now the first 2 out of 3 Businesses on the maps when you search for "Man with a van Coventry" are not using Adwords

Also these Map adds do not rotate so the first Business A, B and C are all ways at the very top all unpaid for.

From my experience with Map businesses and Adword in the last 8 years I have paid for Adwords and I have been No1"A" on Google Business Maps too, I have now been demoted in the last 3 months, for some reason to 4th or 5th and do not come up on the Business map on a phone, Tablet or computer. This has seen a 60% decline in phone calls for my line work.

All this time I thought it was the Adwords that was bringing in the calls but it looks like it was the Map ads.

Before anyone says this is sour grapes on my behalf because I'm not at the top of Map ads any more, My colleague Who is also in Removals "man and van" is now top of Business maps and is getting Twice as many calls as he did 3 months back. We share are work between us, we used to say that I would get more of the work Calls and didn't know why. Now we Do.

Isn't it about time Google started charging for Businesses to be on Google Maps.

Or to rotate the maps so they're not a conflict of interest with Adwords.

1,Man with a van Coventry Moovit,
2,16 Coundon Green,
4, Not to sure where I find this, Sorry.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Adwords V Business maps

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

This is not the first time a Man With a Van competitor has been in this forum. It's not your business, you shouldn't expect to rank for a competitors brand name in the organic results.

Tom

Re: Adwords V Business maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Not to sure what you mean, can you give me a bit more info.

Thanks

Gary

Adwords V Business maps

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Man With A Van is a brand name. When I do a Google search here in the states for 'man with a van London', I see four different competitors bidding on that brand name - In the US!!! Clearly there are competitors attempting to poach off that brand name. Google knows that, and Google is going to give "preferential treatment" to the actual brand owner, especially when it comes to the organic results.

I have to wonder - Is the same company building websites for every man with a van competitor, and telling you guys that you should outrank that brand, because they are so good at what they do? Are these the same people who are managing these AdWords accounts, and spending money WAAAAYYYY out of market? Something about this seems really fishy to me... 

I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like there are some really bad players involved here. Maybe some of the UK TC's have some more insight - @Jon_Gritton, anybody?

Tom

Adwords V Business maps

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

I agree with Tom... and would add:

Google AdWords and organic listings on Google Maps are two very different and disconnected worlds. 

Please know that I can relate to your concerns and do not take you as crying sour grapes in any way. Your business is your top concern and you need it to get more action. The hard part is that every business person feels this way (much like being in the Olympics 24/7) and they all want the same thing. It's who wants it more... that gets more. 

If you want to target and dominate Google Maps and Search with ads... AdWords can do it... with the right budget and smart actions with the website, ads, targeting, etc. And you have to study your competitors and do things one step better. Remember that with AdWords, you can't just pay & display and remain... you have to get the clicks that convert so the systems wants to serve your ad again. If your ads don't bring action... you are rotated out and someone else is rotated in until AdWords is serving something the searchers want. 

Also, if you want to rank better organically on Google Maps, you need to employ this information provided by Google My Business for improving your rank score.

Further, I do not think Google should charge businesses to be on Google Maps within the SERPs (search engine results pages). Google Maps nicely serves some organic listings and supplements with a paid placement or two. The way things are now work best for all... not just paid players. The system is going to reward those that outrank others... which means they have better social signals, website, reviews, traffic, performance, etc. 

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Totally understand what your saying.

Let me start at the beginning,

10 years ago Google had no Ads on adwords in Coventry UK for any type of removals/man and van.

I worked at a company that used google for Ad words it was call "Thebestof" I don't know if its still going. Anyway, It wasn't the best paid job so had to do something else as well, so I bought a van.

When I started advertising on the web I used a place called Find4you and thebestof.

We used the information from google (back then you could talk to a paid google representative)

I didn't have a name for my business venture in removals, also I wanted to only do small removals IE single items Beds, Sofas the like.

At the time the only 2 other businesses that did this type of work was a company called "A2B Removals and A2B4U removals" both of these were named for the Yellow pages book that everyone used up until Web advertising.(as you will know if you had an A,1 or 2 youd be the first advert on you category in the book- (paper book NO internet) ) "Abacus" was a great name for this. Smiley Wink  

Now, knowing that searches for my type of work would be something like "Man with a van" or "man and van" also I was in Coventry. So I called My business "Man-with-a-van-Coventry"

I was the first in Coventry to do this and appear on Google. NO SEO here fellas at this time people were still trying to flog Yellowpages and now Yell.com.

For about 2 years on Google I was on the Maps with the "Find4you" Ad on my own, No1 or A as it is now

Hence forth, after 4 to 5 years everybody followed suit. This is probably when all the advertising people started talking about SEO (Which I think is a pile of tripe)

So I then thought lets rebrand because everybody in this line of work is using "man with a van" in their domain name, so I started Moovit.co.uk (and before you ask, I didn't even know of the firm Moovit.com, the only thing on the net at that time for Moovit was a brand of Motorbike Helmet and Draw runners for kitchens)

At the moment we are on the first page of Google, Bing and Yahoo! If you type in "man with a van Coventry" (Not London, as I don't work in London why search London, there are 1000s of man and vans in London, Coventry is 100 miles from London) with 4 websites, so were all fine there when It comes to Organic Links we are also fine with Adwords.

Here is my point.....

I was only when I came off the top of Google maps when Google introduced the "3 pack" did I find a loss of Calls, down by 60%

If you were to ask Harvard University to do research into Google's affect on business and which is the most influential way of Advertising it would clearly be GoogleMaps 

Also I am glad to say the I am at the end of my working Career, Removals if bone breaking stuff lads and being 62 doesn't help.

This isn't about getting me more work, it's just about the fact the Maps is a clear conflict of interest when people are paying good hard earned money.

I did speak to a Google (paid) employee back in the day 2008?, she told me and I quote "Google is a non-profit making company, AD words is just a side line" !!!!

Another Question, are you a paid representative, have you ever spoken to a paid representative and do you think we will ever be able to talk to a paid representative that is in a position to talk about this and I don't mean a call center.

I don't think so either. LOL        

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"I agree with Tom... and would add:

Google AdWords and organic listings on Google Maps are two very different and disconnected worlds."

Really?

If I search anything on Google, on the first page I find ADwords, Maps then organics.

please explain why you think these are "Very different and disconnected worlds" there all on the same first page they are interlocked.

Do you have a button on your computer that says "Hey man, just show me the organic links" LOL

Gary Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh come on, were still in the game,

Just got an email "I don't like you, so I'm not going to play with you anymore. "

Whats that all about. Smiley Very Happy

I haven't jumped ships yet, I still pay £300 a month to google Ad words it still gets me work but not as much as Maps use too, LOL

I'll wait for a real reply

But please don't read from a script or send a link, to something that you clearly don't have the foggiest.

Don't give up too soon fella, we both might learn something. Smiley LOL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey look at me

You just earned a new badge!

New Contributor

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Gary,

Since you are quoting me, I'll take it you would like to chat some more on this, which is great.

"I agree with Tom... and would add:

Google AdWords and organic listings on Google Maps are two very different and disconnected worlds."

Really?

If I search anything on Google, on the first page I find ADwords, Maps then organics.

please explain why you think these are "Very different and disconnected worlds" there all on the same first page they are interlocked.

Do you have a button on your computer that says "Hey man, just show me the organic links" LOL

Gary

Just because different products consume the same space, does not make them the same. A lamp and a human in a room are quite different from one another. The only likeness is the space they are in. 

1) AdWords does not affect organic placement of your website; being dominate with organic does not affect your AdWords performance.

2) To perform really well online organically, there are lots of things that must be done that are completely different from the things that are needed to hit the targeted goals with AdWords.

3) Not all searches on Google leads to SERPs that contain AdWords, Maps and Organic results. Some do not contain AdWords at all. Some do not contain Google Maps (local three pack) results. Some contain AdWords and Organics only. Some contain Maps and Organic only. 

There are endless studies, research and resources on the fact that "Google AdWords and organic listings on Google Maps are two very different and disconnected worlds" and I stand by this and everything else I have taken the time to provide to you. Since you don't link links, I won't provide any.  

It's okay that you don't completely (or at all) agree with me or see what I am saying... and to be honest I feel that way about a lot of what you are saying, too. Even still, I receive it well, listen, ponder it and see what my brain does with it.

I can say that there are enough facts in the wild that debunk your belief that Google Maps is everything to a business. I do not agree that a Harvard Study would reveal your ideology. There are businesses that are not on Google Maps, do not want to be on Google Maps and yet they still dominate their industries online. Again, I still receive your viewpoint and agree that you have your own unique experience and have the findings that you do, which are credible from your viewpoint and purpose. I accept those and can relate to what you are saying. 

The reason why there are so many different products of Google, and endless ways to use them, is for diversity and to provide many options for many different types of businesses. 

Truly, we all can have different viewpoints, or even speak in different terms... but what we each have to say is received in the way the hearer wishes to receive it. I have been in marketing for 25+ years, developing websites since the mid 1990's and using AdWords from around 2002. I do not read from scripts, I am not a robot and I provide what I do here for free as a individual. I am not a paid employee of Google and I state what I do on my own.

Congratulations on your new badge. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

James