5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Membership Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who is looking to remarket to people who have visited a certain on the website. I have that part down. He also wants to wait until 30 days have passed to start showing the remarketing ads. Is this possible? If so, can you point me in the direction of doing so? Thanks!

-Nick 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick S
February 2016

Re: Adwords Membership Duration

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick S (and @David Kyle) there is a way to do this, but it's not obvious...

What you need to do is create two Remarketing lists, both with the same audience details.  You set one to have an expiry of how ever many days you want to remarket past the 30 (so set it to 60 days to remarket for 30 days), and the other you set to 30 days.  You then create a custom combination list using the list with the longer expiry as the primary and NOT the shorter duration list.

That's it!  The custom combination will now contain people who have been on list more than 30 days but will exclude people who've been on it less than 30 days.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nick S

I'm pretty certain it cannot be done on the Adwords side.  I was thinking it was possible to do it a certain way on the Analytics side, but found out I was wrong.  If you look here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en  and scroll down to "Reference of commonly used conditions" it explicitly states, "Currently, you cannot use the dimension Days Since Last Session as a component of a Remarketing Audience."  That is the dimension I was going to suggest using.

I've worked on some campaigns with long sales cycles, but even in those scenarios 30 days would be too long of a wait to start serving ads in my opinion. Are you able to share the reason your client wants to do this?  The idea of remarketing is to keep the brand on their mind during the decision making process. A lot can happen in 30 days.  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick S
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick S (and @David Kyle) there is a way to do this, but it's not obvious...

What you need to do is create two Remarketing lists, both with the same audience details.  You set one to have an expiry of how ever many days you want to remarket past the 30 (so set it to 60 days to remarket for 30 days), and the other you set to 30 days.  You then create a custom combination list using the list with the longer expiry as the primary and NOT the shorter duration list.

That's it!  The custom combination will now contain people who have been on list more than 30 days but will exclude people who've been on it less than 30 days.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jon_Gritton

that's quite clever! Thanks for sharing that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, David. I tried using Days since Last Session and I got the same response.

This is a gym client I'm working with. We have campaigns set up to attract new members. The conversion we're tracking is set to people who fill out a form on the landing page. That form doesn't actually sign them up. The user essentially becomes a lead and the sales staff at the gym then takes over from there. The lead time from when a user fills out the form to actually becoming a member can sometimes last up to a month. With the remarketing campaign, we'll be serving up ads promoting a personal training offer. So the goal of waiting 30 days to start remarketing is to not hit them with too much before they become a member.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, @Jon_Gritton!

So I set up a 30 day list (people I don't want to remarket to) and a 60 day list (people I do want to remarket to).

In the custom combination section would I set it up like this?

none of these audiences: 30 Day List
and
any of these audiences: 60 Day List

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nick S

that makes sense. Sounds like you've thought this out well.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick S yep, (although personally I would do it the other way around, it makes no actual difference!).

The longer list needs to be as long as you want to remarket for, minus 30 days, so if you want it longer than 30 days remarketing, you'll need to set it to a higher value than 60.

Jon