2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question, might be dumb. But I'm getting conflicting feedback when targeting the keywords "web" and "website" in this instance. AdWords is telling me these are conflicting keywords, yet they are suggesting a $15 bid for one keyword and 7 for the other. I even created a new completely campaign just to test this exact question and am still getting conflicting feedback. The two phrases are:

+web +design +company +near +me

+website +design +company +near +me

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew T
March 2017

Adwords Match Type

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

OK, this means that the keywords  compete, and the one with a higher ad rank wins the auction.

So, I would just ignore. The search terms report can be used to check the KWs that are matched with  search terms.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Adwords Match Type

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Maybe using the broad match multiplier (+) is causing the conflict. Can you try using exact match keywords?

Adwords Match Type

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The bid you are getting is for the whole keyword which includes all the words within.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Adwords Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, that was my first idea so I tried that to no avail. I'm also having issues for the whole list including more specific city locations, for example "New York" etc. Kind of like this below and it's telling me there are duplicates. I'm a bit confuzzled as I've had no issues like this with any of my clients campaigns using similar practices. Am I really stupid and just over looking something?

+web +design +agency (showing: no; flag: another creative in the ad group was selected over this one)

+website +design +agency (showing: no; flag: another creative in the ad group was selected over this one)

+web +design +agency +near +me (showing: no; flag: another creative in the ad group was selected over this one)

+website +design +agency +near +me (showing: yes....but this keyphrase has "low search volume", worried I may be getting a false "yes")

+web +design +agency +new +york (showing: no; flag: another creative in the ad group was selected over this one)

+website +design +agency +new +york (showing: yes....but this keyphrase has "low search volume", worried I may be getting a false "yes")

The only two that are "showing" out of the whole group are the ones with low search volume, so I think that's the only reason its showing those two as "yes". Bids are set to match first page "suggestion", not sure why it wouldn't allow me to even have the first most basic level even if they're duplicates??

Adwords Match Type

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well... The issue with New York is that the system interprets it as a location (aka targeting by intent) not necessarily the one you are targeting. 

I would not suggest to include a location as big as NYC within a KW

Adwords Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I was just using "New York" as an example. The city name I'm targeting is comprised of about 72,000 people total.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew T
March 2017

Adwords Match Type

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

OK, this means that the keywords  compete, and the one with a higher ad rank wins the auction.

So, I would just ignore. The search terms report can be used to check the KWs that are matched with  search terms.

Adwords Match Type

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, as Moshe points out, the notice is that an alternate creative is working. So the good news is the ads are serving, maybe just not how you intended. Dig into Search Terms Report and try phrase/exact versions.

Adwords Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Haha, I actually just got done running all of the phrases through there, they're showing. I'm really not sure why it was saying alternative creatives (because creatives should be the ads??). The ads shouldn't be competing when they're within the same ad group. I think it was a bug on AdWords end, it's happened before where I've had to call AdWords support, they tell me nothing is wrong on their end, then shortly after I hang up it's magically fixed! Thanks guys for your help.

Adwords Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm kind of running a preliminary experiment with various phrases to ensure I'm getting every aspect of my search market, then I'm going to go back and refine my lists. Thanks for the help!