Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Geo targeting and language setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm running online booking service for renting the apartments in Zagreb (www.zagreb-center.com), my potential clients are all the people in the world who are planning to visit Croatia/Zagreb. So I setup my first campaign to target countries with english as native language (USA, UK, Australia,... enough for the start, right?) and I put english as language. Is there something I have to be carefull about and how can I target all the people who speak english in the world (because my website is only in english and croatian).

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Bruno

6 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Reservation A
December 2015

Re: Adwords Geo targeting and language

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bruno,

Welcome to the adwords community.

Firstly, you can select any language for your adwords account as per your convenience and it will not affect the language of your ads or keywords of your targeting geographic.

Secondly, the ads and keywords in local language of targeting geographic affects the performance of the adwords campaigns.
So if you have selected countries with different local languages then create different campaigns for those countries/geographic with ads and keywords written in local languages of the respective countries.
If the countries are US,UK and Australia then you can go with English as common language and you can target all 3 countries in 1 campaign only.
And if budget is not an issue then you can create different campaigns for different location with ads and keywords in Standard English for all the campaigns. Creating campaigns on the basis of geography provides the easy of analysis and optimization.
The written english for these countries vary little in their essential features. If you will go more local there will be a difference in grammar, vocabulary and spelling. Examples of locallanguages in UK:
scotland- scots
wales- welsh
There are lot more. So more local you will go, you will find differences in local languages within a country.
And it will be very difficult to target every local language. As you have your website in English and croatian, you can go with these two languages but ads create ads and keywords for both the languages separately(different campaigns) and target to their respective landing pages(english version of website for ads in english and croatian version of website for ads in croatian).

And if you just want to use english(don't want to write ads in croatian) then keep in mind that your ads and keywords are in english and landing page is english version.

Use Location option (advance) as "People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location"

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Reservation A
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bruno,

Welcome to the adwords community.

Firstly, you can select any language for your adwords account as per your convenience and it will not affect the language of your ads or keywords of your targeting geographic.

Secondly, the ads and keywords in local language of targeting geographic affects the performance of the adwords campaigns.
So if you have selected countries with different local languages then create different campaigns for those countries/geographic with ads and keywords written in local languages of the respective countries.
If the countries are US,UK and Australia then you can go with English as common language and you can target all 3 countries in 1 campaign only.
And if budget is not an issue then you can create different campaigns for different location with ads and keywords in Standard English for all the campaigns. Creating campaigns on the basis of geography provides the easy of analysis and optimization.
The written english for these countries vary little in their essential features. If you will go more local there will be a difference in grammar, vocabulary and spelling. Examples of locallanguages in UK:
scotland- scots
wales- welsh
There are lot more. So more local you will go, you will find differences in local languages within a country.
And it will be very difficult to target every local language. As you have your website in English and croatian, you can go with these two languages but ads create ads and keywords for both the languages separately(different campaigns) and target to their respective landing pages(english version of website for ads in english and croatian version of website for ads in croatian).

And if you just want to use english(don't want to write ads in croatian) then keep in mind that your ads and keywords are in english and landing page is english version.

Use Location option (advance) as "People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location"

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Bruno,

Few things to look for here:-

1. Advanced location settings i.e. people who search for your particular location outside Croatia would be the one who you would actually target. So you should plan out the strategy to target those users.

2. Remarketing could be another interesting option for you. For example if the people had visited your website in the past, but haven't booked apartments via your website, can be shown custom tailored ads and special discounts can also be offered to them.

3. If you already have a database of old customers, you can build a customer email list and target them using Remarketing as well. More details here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6276125?hl=en

4. I would also suggest using Language Croatian and creating Croatian language ad copies to target users outside of Croatia for better targeting.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Re: Adwords Geo targeting and language setup

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Reservation A

Make sure creating a brand page.

Online businesses are not eligible for local business pages

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Bruno ( @Reservation A),

Firstly, I'd actually recommend starting with a smaller target audience.  Just the UK, USA and Australia is an awfully big audience for a new Account where you've got a lot of optimisation to go through.  I'd start with just one of those countries, and probably just the UK; if you do want to target the USA, I'd recommend doing so in four separate Campaigns (one for each major time zone) and perhaps start with just the East Coast.  The first month or so of your Account is going to need a lot of changes to make it perform well and there's little point showing your Ads to a very wide audience until you've got a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

How are you tracking success?  Can bookings be carried out online and, if so, are you tracking those bookings with a conversion action in AdWords and/or Analytics?  If bookings cannot be made online, how are you tracking leads?

To answer your question about languages, yes, in theory you can use any Language target in any country, but I'd advise always matching the language of your Ads - and your landing pages - to the language set in AdWords, so, if your language setting is Spanish, your Ads and landing page should be in Spanish.  For this, and for other reasons of control, I would always recommend using separate Campaigns for each region and each language.  So, you might have a Campaign for USA_ETZ_English and one for USA_ETZ_Spanish, and so on.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I would echo what Jon says about the time zones - most campaigns tend to work best during certain hours and combining, for example, the UK, US & Australia in a single campaign means that you cannot effectively schedule ads to run at prime times because one man's middle of the day is another man's middle of the night.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When you look at your keyword research, which countries are looking for your service? Make sure you find your negetive keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much, Pankaj, seems I have a lot to learn!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Archit, Great explanation on language targeting!
Just wanna amend a little bit on location settings.

Bruno, for the optimal performance of your campaigns, you need to set the location option "People in my targeted location" for campaigns targeting US, UK, Australia...anywhere else than Croatia/Zagreb. If you have campaigns targeting Croatia/Zagreb, you can set location option "People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location" and language "English".

For the difference between the two options, you may wanna further read this post https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This solved thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.