4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Express - Targeted landing pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've noticed that Adwords express is sending users to targeted landing pages, despite me using my homepage as the selected landing page.

I spoke to someone at google, and they told me this wasn't happening. But according to google analytics, adwords express users are landing on interior pages. I'm not complaining, i think it's actually been helpful. 

But can anyone confirm this is going one? 

I also have been dissapointted with the lack of control (keywords and negative keywords) I have over my Express account. It seems someone from google has agreed to allow a limited number of neg keywords, but this seems insufficient. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Express - Targeted landing pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

As far as my knowledge goes, it doesn't happen. The destination URL which you have set is the one where Google would tend to direct the users, who click on your ad.

MonticelloNYS wrote:

I also have been dissapointted with the lack of control (keywords and negative keywords) I have over my Express account. It seems someone from google has agreed to allow a limited number of neg keywords, but this seems insufficient. 

Certainly these are 2 different products (regular Adwords and Adwords Express) and they are created eyeing different needs of online advertisers and it really is upto the advertisers that they choose which product is best for them. Of course you have much more flexibility in terms of regular Adwords which you don't get in Adwords Express. You can read this article (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1689628) for more comparison.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi MonticelloNYS,

I often see landing pages for AdWords clicks that are not destination URL's in any of my campaigns. I have yet to figure out how that can happen. Usually, it's very small numbers compared to where I expect AdWords clicks to land, so I generally ignore the report.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

You wrote "A user clicks on an adwords ad, and bookmarks an interior page. Then returns to that page later from the bookmark. Would or could analytics report that returning visit to the interior page as an adwords visit, if that visit occured within the analytics cookie duration time frame? Are the visits associated with the interior pages new or returning visits?"

The way I understand this, Analytics determines and AdWords visits by looking for a gclid value in the query string. If the user were to bookmark the landing page and return, the gclid value would still be present in the query string. That should result in additional AdWords visit in Analytics, but not a click in AdWords. Once the user goes to the interior page, the gclid value is no longer present. Bookmarking and returning to that page should not be reported as an AdWords visit. If the Analytics cookie is present for that domain, it will be reported as a returning visit.

Analytics always reports the last visit. You can see the AdWords click in the multi-channel funnel reports.

I hope that made sense!

Pete

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

You're close. As I mentioned above, I have landing pages reported for AdWords that are not destination URL's in any campaign. I have yet to figure out how that can happen.

Returning to the same page will not necessarily record and AdWords visit. Bookmarking the page right after the initial AdWords click then using that Bookmark to return to the page would record a visit.

With auto-tagging enabled, the incoming url will look something like this:

www.example.com/landingPage.html?gclid=dalkfjlasfjdlasjdflaksjdflkaj

The part following the ? is called the query string. In this example, the only value in the query string is the gclid value--gclid is the name and the stuff following the = is the value. That value is encoded and ties to the keyword, ad group and campaign that generated the click. When Analytics sees this value in the query string, it attributes the traffic to AdWords. It has nothing to do with the cookie.

Now, if the AdWords cookie is present when a conversion is completed, that conversion will attributed to AdWords. In your AdWords UI, that conversion will report on the date of the original click. (Analytics reports on the date of the conversion). Say a visitor clicked on your ad on the last day of your campaign and comes back a month later and converts. That conversion will be attributed to the ended campaign--after the campaign has ended. About the only way a visit could be attributed to a campaign that has been paused for years would be the visitor using a Bookmark that includes the gclid value.

Analytics always attributes traffic to the most recent source. A returning visitor's return visit, not using a bookmark that includes a gclid value, would be direct traffic in Analytics.

I'm not so sure I made that any clearer for you, Tom!

Pete