AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Edtior and symbols

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have large lists imported into Adwords Editor.  Any keywords which have the trademark (TM) symbol or the registered trademark symbol (R) are not being approved.  We need to acknowledge the trademark, but the only option Adwords is giving me is to edit the keyword text.  The option to request an exception is not given.

How do I activate these keywords within Adwords Editor and keep the needed trademark symbols?

The error message in Adwords Editor was "Error: We couldn't post your keyword. Please edit your keyword text."

I don't know if it is important, but the keyword list is being used for a dynamic keyword insertion ad.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Edtior and symbols

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi waddawadda,

Are these keywords that were approved when entered through the web interface that are disapproved when sending the campaign data back through ADWords Editor? If that's the case, please let us know and I will try to file a bug report on this.

If that's not the deal, how are you entering the symbols? As far as I know, you can't use any html markup in your ads or keywords, and I don't know of any other way to enter a TM symbol.

If I have missed the target altogether on this post, I do apologize.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Adwords Edtior and symbols

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Waddawadda,

My question is quite similar to Peterbardo's.  Have you ever been able to get a keyword with a symbol approved? 

I just tested this out using the ™ and ® symbols and was unable to get a keyword posted from AE and found the same error while logged in on the site interface.

There is a fairly straightforward policy concerning use of symbols in keywords and I would wager to say that unfortunately trademarks are falling under this as well.  I understand what your're trying to accomplish but I fear that you may be going about it the wrong way.  

Something dawned on me as I was looking into this...bear with me here.

While searching for a brand or trademarked terms would you include a ™ or ® symbol in your search terms?  My guess is most would not. This was potentially part of the thought process behind keeping keywords clean of symbols (not a fact, just a guess).  

The good news is that you can definitely use the ™ and ® symbol in your ad headline and text.  I was able to successfully execute this without any problems.

Can you possibly reorganize your adgroups in a way that you can use non DKI ads and then be able to incorporate your symbols in some more specific ads?

Maybe someone else here can provide a more elaborate response but that's what I have for you right now.

Cheers

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’