Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor Importing problem: Ambiguous Row Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Using this sample sheet here:  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tWZw1GeX3eyimmzCo7v6lEQ

But when I filled this out (based on the template there) and try to import it into Adwords Editor, I am getting a Ambiguous Row Type error.

Anyone know what's up?  What exactly is this error and how do I fix it?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Editor Importing problem: Ambiguous Row Type

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

I don't see any errors with your sample CSV. The actual text you are importing must be different in some way.

Each row in the CSV must represent a single item. "Ambiguous Row Type" means that a single row has non-empty columns belonging to different item types - for example, keyword text and ad headline. Don't do that - put each item on its own row, leave blank all columns that don't make sense for this kind of item.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please define "item types" for me?

I did have 'everything' in one single row - like how one would expect a normal spreadsheet to operate....

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Keywords, placements, text ads, image ads ... Basically, each tab in Editor shows one item type.

Could you in turn define "everything" for me? Show an example of your CSV data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

That's not going to work. You need at least three rows - one for geo target, one for keyword, one for text ad (campaign and ad group data can be placed into the first row; personally, I prefer to create dedicated rows for those, too).

Consider: both keywords and text ads may have a destination URL. When you put both on one row, how is Editor supposed to know which one the destination URL is meant for? Same with Max CPC, which applies both to keywords and to ad groups. It is for this reason that Editor requires (with a few exceptions) each item to be on its own separate row.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Igor

Would you mind posting the ideal sheet/Editor template that you use?

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

The easiest way to get a feel for Editor preferred CSV format is to manually set up a sample campaign with one of each type of item you care about (just create it in Editor, don't need to actually post it), then export it to CSV. Editor generates on export the same format it accepts on import.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I heard several people say this before, but after much frustration, I actually tried it. This worked for me. Thank You For The Boost.

Adwords Editor Importing problem: Ambiguous Row Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I am having the same problem and I can't find what the mistake on the excel file can be. I don't have any black space and each item is on its right column/ row. Even though I am able to upload the campaign and ad group columns and the keyword one, when I try to upload the rest of the file the editor gives me the "ambiguous row" error. Can you please check it out? I can't find what the issue might be. Find below an screenshot of the excel headers and first rows. 

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dftoG_PFoACvkg5QB64jpqPSmr5rvlwj/view?usp=sharing