AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor 9.7.1 cannot post geotargets with "excluded" areas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

Setting up geo targets with "included" areas work fine when checking changes or posting,
but when the geo targets include "excluded" areas, it will say the campaign fails the "check changes"

error message: We couldn't post your campaign. please edit Geotargeting. Please ensure your campaign isnt' targeting two areas where one includes the other.

I checked and there are no areas where one includes the other.!

I repeated this many times by setting it up in the web version of Adwords.  Then downloaded it to editor.  Then clicked copy campaign shell then pasted location settings on other accounts.  

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?  Reproducing complicated geotargets is a pain to do manually with other campaigns.  Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Editor 9.7.1 cannot post geotargets with "excluded" areas?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right - exactly as I would do it.

In my opinion, the best way to implement geotargeting is to do it 100% in the interface.  Once you have it set up, download it into Adwords Editor, copy the campaign and paste the Language and location targeting.  It sounds like you're doing this which is perfect.

The only trouble-shooting questions I would ask is "do I have radius targeting within a larger area causing Adwords to think I'm trying to target overlaping areas?"  "Do I have a really complicated location-targeting setup?"  Perhaps the updated Adwords system has a few bugs since they removed custom map options.  I have even experienced some bugs in the Interface when setting up map locations.

Sorry, that's all I got Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Geo exclusions do work, in general. There must be a problem with some specific geo location you are targeting. To help diagnose the problem, could you please do the following:
  1. Select one of the problematic campaigns (one that fails to post) on Campaigns tab.
  2. Perform Edit>Copy special>Copy campaign shell
  3. Paste into a spreadsheet application, e.g. Excel or similar
    There should be two rows - heading row, and a row with actual data.
  4. Post here the contents of the data row from "Geo Targeting" and "Proximity Targets" columns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.  Thanks for your reply.

Here are teh results from what you asked (in Geotargeting column as proximity is blank)

-Buffalo, NY US;-Clarence, NY US;-Depew, NY US;-Lewiston, NY US;-Lockport, NY US;-Niagara Falls, NY US;-North Tonawanda, NY US;-Ransomville, NY US;-Tonawanda, NY US;Ft Erie, ON CA;Niagara Falls, ON CA;Port Colborne, ON CA;St Catharines, ON CA;Thorold, ON CA;Wainfleet, ON CA;Welland, ON CA

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

It doesn't make sense to exclude a city unless you first target a state/region or a country that the city lies in. For example, before you can exclude Buffalo, NY US, you need to target US or US-NY. If you don't target anything in US, then your ads won't serve in US anyway, exclusions or no exclusions.

For certain technical reasons, AdWords web interface accepts such a configuration (though, again, these exclusions don't affect ad serving in any way), while Editor complains. Simply remove the exclusions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, yes that makes sense.

And what I actually see in the interface is: targeting by city only.  It won't let me include a state/country first.  Just the city.  Plus I need to exclude those areas because of advanced targeting :

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

I am not very familiar with the fine details of advanced geo targeting, so I consulted someone who is. Here's the situation.

In general, it may indeed be useful and meaningful in some cases to target city A while excluding city B, even though you are not targeting any parent location of city B. It is thus a problem that Editor doesn't support this case. This problem may be fixed server-side (in which case your configuration will just start working), but I can't promise that. Otherwise, the issue will be fixed in the next Editor release.

However, such a setup is only useful when both cities A and B are in the same country. See

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038

the section that starts with "Search intent only works within the same country." Even without exclusions, a US user should not be served ads targeted to Niagara Falls, CA, since a) she is not physically located in CA, and b) search intent doesn't cross country borders. For this reason, your campaigns should still work the same even if you drop all the US city exclusions.

If you nevertheless want to keep those exclusions, you will have to set them up in the web interface. There is no workaround in Editor until the problem is resolved, and I cannot give any estimate as to when that might happen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright that sounds great.  It seems to be a complicated issue and I'm sure not many people have it.

Thank you for looking into that for me.

I will for now have to put them in manually.

Cheers!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

The problem is fixed, I'm happy to report. Your original configuration, with a mix of targeted and excluded cities, should now work in Editor.

Thanks, Igor, for your update.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, Igor, for your update.

Zee
G+