AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Conversion tracking tool problem

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

I am trying to use the conversion tracking tool in my website. In particular I am trying to see what keywords are associated with visitors who go to a specific page in our site (namely "Purchase Now"). I inserted the code generated by Google into the HTML for that page as instructed. We turned on an adword program and after awhile I did a search using one of our keywords This generated our ad so I could click through to our site and go to that specific page. I did this three times. I then went to the adwords analysis area and looked up Conversions. Indeed the tabulation showed the three entries (in fact additional entries as well by other visitors) but there were no keywords listed, just the count of entries to the specific page. How can I get a listing of the keywords to show up (which was the whole purpose of the exercise)?

Thanks,
Bob will

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Conversion tracking tool problem

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome to our community.

Did you look at the keywords tab, a few hours after testing your conversion tracking? The system does not give you to-the-minute fresh data, and sometimes data is updated progressively in the interface.

But I think that in the case of keywords report, in the Keywords tab, you should see them a few good hours after testing your conversion tracking. The keywords tab is the fifth from the left, and make sure you have the conversions added as table columns in that report.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Calin, thank you so much for your remarks.  I’m still a bit lost. When I go to the AdWords site under my account, I click on the Tools and Analysis tab, and then on Conversions tab. This brings me to a page that seems correct per the instruction video; however, there is no column in the table with the header “keywords”. Reading from the left, the headers are: a checkbox, a green dot, Conversion, Source, Category, Tracking Status, Conversions (many-per-click), and Value. I don’t see a way to add a column that says “keywords”. Should I be looking somewhere else or doing something else? What makes me think that I’m partially successful with the conversion tool is that the Conversions (many-per-click) column does have the correct acct. of visitations to the site page where the code was placed.

Bob

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Bob.

The page you're describing is the page where conversion types are defined. What you should do is click on the campaigns tab and then on the keywords tab.

campaign-keywords.png

Tell us if you can find your way now, please.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

Thanks again Calin. I am aware of the area you just described. This shows the keywords for click thru from the ad to the site landing spot, but does not report on the keyword of those click thru’s that eventually navigated to the specific page of interest where I inserted the conversion tracking tools software. I believe the instructions for this Conversion Tracking Tool said to click on the Conversions tab instead of the Campaigns tab. This seems to be where special conversion tracking to a specific page by keywords occurs rather than the keywords that produced initial site entry.

Bob

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
In that area, if you enable the conversion-related columns (1 and many per click) you will see, in one place, both keywords who did not generate visits that in the end reached the conversion page and visits which did reach the conversion page.

Just enable the columns and then click on their header to sort top down by conversions and you'll have the converting keywords listed first.