AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Ads - Site Link Extensions Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I have upgraded my Ad Site Links, however I want to be able to make use of the Additional Details feature of upgraded site links.

Let's say that you're running a campaign with sitelinks. In some cases, we might automatically supplement your sitelinks with additional details that you've provided about those pages from your website, for example, from various ads in your account. By showing additional information with your sitelinks, your ads can be more relevant to potential customers. Click the link below to find out more about the resulting sitelinks, including an example of how they could look with your ad.

How sitelinks with additional detail work
Example

You've created sitelinks for your pizza restaurant campaign and your ad can show sitelinks similar to the following ad:

Example ad with sitelink extensions

Now, let's say that your account also includes the following text ads:

Since the text ads in your account include information that's similar to your sitelinks, we might add some of that information to your sitelinks and show potential customers an ad unit that could look like the following:

Note: It's important to remember that we'll enhance your sitelinks with information that you provide. This means that you're in control of the information, such as ad text, that we show in your sitelink extension.

Bear in mind

We'll only show sitelinks with additional information if your sitelinks campaign meets specific criteria, including the following:

• Your existing ads show with two or three lines of sitelinks and appear above Google search results.
  • We've found other ads in your account that match your sitelinks.

According to this Google link, there are some criteria that needs to be followed.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en-GB#upgraded

However, a contact at Google told us that additional criteria needs to be adhered to:

Additional criteria:

• The ad is the first ad above the search results.
  • Only 1 or 2 ads are serving above the search results.
  • The ads can’t use keyword insertion
  • The ads can’t have duplicate text as each other or as the main ad that’s serving

My question is whether we CANNOT have ANY Dynamic Keyword Insertion Ads in our account? And Does DKI apply for the whole Ad, including Headline or only apply to DKI in description lines and Display URL?

Please do advise me, as accordingly I will have to change all our DKI ads in our account to standard non-DKI ads, so that we can make use of Additional Details.

Many Thanks

Az

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Ads - Site Link Extensions Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Azzah,

I have very rarely, if ever, seen 'enhanced sitelinks' like these actually work and get displayed for a search.  My initial response is that for the average advertiser, DKI is probably more valuable than hoping for a chance to get some 'enhanced sitelinks' like these to show up.

Also, please keep in mind that these 'enhanced sitelinks' have been around long before 'enhanced campaigns' and 'upgraded sitelinks extensions'. it's a funny naming crossover, they're not a new feature of the new upgrades/enhancements.

As far as your question, my interpretation is that Google wants every part of the ads to be static so they can see that the sitelinks match the ads exactly and do actually provide additional relevant information.  If you have DKI anywhere - there is no guarantee on that consistency.  

Just my couple cents. Smiley Happy 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tommy,

Interesting take on things.

i assumed this was a new feature of upgraded site links!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey,

Yes, the terminology is the confusing part - here is an announcement from last year about them:  http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/02/introducing-enhanced-ad-sitelinks.html

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’