3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Adword Charges for clicks that instantly leave page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a tool that monitors how long visitors stay on my page.  I've noticed that a large amount of visitors that come to my page through google adwords instantly leave.  They are there less than 1 second.  It would seem like it is robotic clicks with no intent to look at the content.  At least it doesn't appear that they could possibly see what the website is about because they leave so quickly.  Yet I'm charged a click for that.

Couldn't google do something to only charge you if a visitor stays 3 seconds or longer?  Without something like that, doesn't it invite fraud from the other companies that make money from Google via adwords?

Thank you.

Jim Young

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim Y
September 2015

Re: Adword Charges for clicks that instantly leave page

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jim,

You should better escalate this issue (visitors leaving within 1 second) with the Google Representatives with your data showing the number of users leaving the site within 1 second. They will investigate this issue at their end.

As Sumanth explained, you are charged as soon as someone clicks your ad irrespective of the stay length on your website/landing page. And the advertiser do get the credit of any fraudulent clicks that may have happened which can be checked in your Billing Summary report.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jim,

If visitors are leaving less than 3 seconds, there can be several reasons for that. That can be a technical error, content error or may be your going with wrong set of keywords.

There are lot of Google Partners our there ( Companies and Individuals ) who can help you. First try to go to a qualified, experienced advertiser and show your campaign and especially landing page. He will tell you what is the problem.

As I know, Google certified partners not cheating to their clients. They always try to deliver best for their clients and earn through that. Hence try to contact a Google partner, he will sort your issue.

Thanks,

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Jim,

Firstly, AdWords filters fraudulent clicks (like the ones from click bots) and doesn't charge for that. Secondly, as AdWords is a pay-per-click platform, you'd be charged when users click on your ads.

Unfortunately, AdWords doesn't charge based on the time spent on your website or the value a click could get you. If you're using the right set of keywords & negatives, it is implied that your target audience are relevant to your product/service. However, to control bounce rate, you'll have to consider landing page effectiveness. It is possible that all of your clicks are legit, but users went back, as the page wasn't too relevant or informative to them.

What's the landing page you're using?

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Ishara,

It is impossible for a user to click on a website and tell within 1 second whether the page is what they want. It's just not believable in my mind. It would take a couple seconds just to read the headline and the first few words.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim Y
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jim,

You should better escalate this issue (visitors leaving within 1 second) with the Google Representatives with your data showing the number of users leaving the site within 1 second. They will investigate this issue at their end.

As Sumanth explained, you are charged as soon as someone clicks your ad irrespective of the stay length on your website/landing page. And the advertiser do get the credit of any fraudulent clicks that may have happened which can be checked in your Billing Summary report.

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jim Y what tool are you using to measure these short visits?

Bear in mind that measuring a visit to a single page is often difficult and unreliable and the figure of 1s may not be accurate.  Do you know how the tool measures time on site?

Most tracking systems time visits by following user interactions on the site - such as a visit to another page on the site.  In these cases if the visitor lands on your site then does nothing, it could be impossible to accurately determine how long they stayed looking at that page.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon,
I admit that It is possible it is recording less than once a second.

A general description of the time recording function is as follows:
Within the web page is a javascript script that runs every 1 second. The script reloads a hidden iframe. The code for the iframe is a simple php script that runs on the server and saves date/time for the ipaddress. When the user leaves the page that script no longer runs which leaves the last known time the user was on the site (I also record the time they first came to the site so you have the on/off date/time.)

I would say that 60% of the visits have the same time on and off. Basically on the page for 0 seconds.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jim,

I have one more recommendation to dig a bit deeper into it. If you have analytics code added to your site, log in to Analytics. Go to Behavior > Site Content > All Pages and check the Avg. Time on Page column. You can further do more segmentation of those pages by adding Secondary Dimensions and then you can analyze which are those pages where users are exiting within 1 second of the click on ad. May be you can find something here as well to report it to the Google Reps.

If you are able to prove your point to Google Reps, you may also request them to refund the money spent on such fraudulent activities. If not all, at least you will get something back Smiley Happy, if not money then at least a reply which will clear the picture.

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Jim Y I'd be a little wary of relying upon the data from such a system, particularly in terms of when the code first runs and how reliably it triggers.  As I'm sure you know, since JS runs locally in the browser, not on the server, it's frequently affected by local user performance and settings. It's entirely possible, for example, that the code doesn't run at all until the page finishes loading and if it's a slow connection/image heavy, etc. etc. there could be several seconds there.

"Several seconds" may not sound like a lot but it's often more than enough time for a user to determine if the page is what they're looking for.

You haven't talked about your actual campaign.  Some more info on what you're advertising and how you've structured your Account in terms of targeting, Keywords, etc. may help us nail down problems elsewhere.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same situation. Doesn't make any sense. Why would someone click to go to your site and then only stay there for a second or two. Not long enough to read the first paragraph. In my instance they are greeted with a video and they do not spend enough time to even click on that.
When they find my site on their own, they average 3 minutes. I think google is somehow ripping us off.