AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Advice sought from Adwords Account Managers and Consultants;

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage a few small accounts for small businesses who have very little knowledge how Adwords works (especially when it comes to re-marketing)  One of my Accounts in-house people have become suspicious that I am using traffic from their site to re-market other clients.  

They have re-marketing code installed on their site by their own site admin.  I have no access whatsoever to their website and am only a "permissioned admin" to their Adwords account.   How do I convince "higher ups" of the company that this is not possible since I have no access to their site and I do not even know the 3rd party who is site administrator.  Crazy, I know.  But it has raised eyebrows since they are a new client and I have not worked with them long.  Suggestions? 

4 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin B
September 2015

Re: Advice sought from Adwords Account Managers and Consultants;

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Colin,

The 'starting' point in remarketing is adding the remarketing code from Adwords across all pages of the website. Without the code remarketing will not work.

This is specifically mentioned as the first point on this help page

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000?hl=en

You can share it with your client to educate them how remarketing works.

Every remarketing tag comes with a specific account ID. You can ask them (in-house people/own site admin) to verify the source code of each page.

They can easily identify if a different/other code is present on the pages.

You can suggest Google Tag Assistant for this check, as Tag Assistant will give specific information about each code present on a web page.

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Colin, interesting situation.

Unfortunately, although @Deepak_V 's comments are useful, those checks won't in themselves prove you're not doing it since you could, in theory, have a perfectly legitimate RM code for an Account on their website then use that same Account to display Ads for another site.  

In this situation I wouldn't try to prove anything, I'd place the onus upon them to provide proof of their suspicions.

The problem with providing your own proof that you cannot do something is that it runs the risk of some clever fellow finding a way that you could, such as I've said above, which means you then have to find another reason why you can't, which in turn they refute, then another and so on.  On the other hand, if you ask them to provide their proof of how you are doing it, all you have to is be able to disprove their theory and you can call an end to it.

To be honest, if this were me I would simply sack the client, telling them I'm not prepared to work with a company that doesn't trust me.  It doesn't bode well for future relations, does it?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@Jon_Gritton

In his post Colin mentioned he is only a 'permissioned admin' of the client's Adwords account.

So the complete/administrative access is still with the in-house team.

As they have the administrative access, any time the in-house team can check their account, and it will be very easy for them to find ads running for another site if it is happening.

So I assume still the major point of 'suspicion' is the code.

I do agree that with this kind of 'suspicion' from the beginning (as Colin mentioned this is a new client), it will be difficult to maintain a good relation with this client.

Deepak

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Deepak_V well, all clients should always have access to their Accounts, but that doesn't mean they have the required knowledge to properly examine how an Account is being run - after all, if they did, why hire a manager?

I suspect however that their accusation is that the RM list is somehow being used in a different Account, which is only possible with GA lists, so should be easy to disprove (if they haven't got any GA lists).  But, as we all agree, let them put their own proof forward or simply drop them.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Colin,

The 'starting' point in remarketing is adding the remarketing code from Adwords across all pages of the website. Without the code remarketing will not work.

This is specifically mentioned as the first point on this help page

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000?hl=en

You can share it with your client to educate them how remarketing works.

Every remarketing tag comes with a specific account ID. You can ask them (in-house people/own site admin) to verify the source code of each page.

They can easily identify if a different/other code is present on the pages.

You can suggest Google Tag Assistant for this check, as Tag Assistant will give specific information about each code present on a web page.

Hope this helps,

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Colin, interesting situation.

Unfortunately, although @Deepak_V 's comments are useful, those checks won't in themselves prove you're not doing it since you could, in theory, have a perfectly legitimate RM code for an Account on their website then use that same Account to display Ads for another site.  

In this situation I wouldn't try to prove anything, I'd place the onus upon them to provide proof of their suspicions.

The problem with providing your own proof that you cannot do something is that it runs the risk of some clever fellow finding a way that you could, such as I've said above, which means you then have to find another reason why you can't, which in turn they refute, then another and so on.  On the other hand, if you ask them to provide their proof of how you are doing it, all you have to is be able to disprove their theory and you can call an end to it.

To be honest, if this were me I would simply sack the client, telling them I'm not prepared to work with a company that doesn't trust me.  It doesn't bode well for future relations, does it?

Jon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well...this is a nice question.

As @Deepak_V explained you need to install the code on the client's site.

Though you have no access to the code,  you do have access to the list on the account. So, technically, you could set a remarking campaign for the one client using the other client list.

The bottom line - Google's guideline for 3rd party advertising policy  should be part of the agreement between the parties, Trust is essential. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Ohhh... I am  slower in typing than @Jon_Gritton; He posted while I was still   typing my reply...... Essentially, we say the same... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@Jon_Gritton

In his post Colin mentioned he is only a 'permissioned admin' of the client's Adwords account.

So the complete/administrative access is still with the in-house team.

As they have the administrative access, any time the in-house team can check their account, and it will be very easy for them to find ads running for another site if it is happening.

So I assume still the major point of 'suspicion' is the code.

I do agree that with this kind of 'suspicion' from the beginning (as Colin mentioned this is a new client), it will be difficult to maintain a good relation with this client.

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Deepak_V well, all clients should always have access to their Accounts, but that doesn't mean they have the required knowledge to properly examine how an Account is being run - after all, if they did, why hire a manager?

I suspect however that their accusation is that the RM list is somehow being used in a different Account, which is only possible with GA lists, so should be easy to disprove (if they haven't got any GA lists).  But, as we all agree, let them put their own proof forward or simply drop them.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi @Jon_Gritton

The only person who can clarify these doubts (clients knowledge level and the suspicion they have) is Colin.

So let us wait for him to comment.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey you guys. Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice. I find this forum on here an invaluable resource. I only do this as a part-time gig and I always tell people who need to find some coaching, to go here. I have hired a consultant from these boards earlier and it was well worth the investment. Thanks again for all the energy and time you share with people. Cheers, Colin.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Colin B,

If this is a part-time gig for you, I'm with Jon and would drop the client like a rock. It's not worth the heartache to try to please a client that does not trust you.

If you have an MCC account, you can share remarketing lists across accounts, but it takes a call to support. Just my opinion here, but it's nearly impossible to prove you are not doing something.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords