AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Advice on Selling Original Art Online

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Are there any pointers to keep in mind while selling original art online? This company acts as a marketplace where people can buy and sell their private collections online. Its very exclusive, and only members are allowed. Membership registration is a very thorough process where credentials are vetted, etc.

As far as I can see, its close to impossible to do an SEM campaign for the current set-up/business model. However, in a last ditch attempt, I'm putting up this question here to see if any of you have had similar experiences, and if you could give me *any* tips that you think would work.

Thank you!

Leticia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leticia I
September 2015

Re: Advice on Selling Original Art Online

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Leticia

Yes, I would say, as you are not an individual selling your own items on your own domain, instead using a Marketplace or third-party to list your item.

This method of sale, would not be suitable for Google Shopping Campaigns. In order to qualify, a customer must be able to click your item in listings, visit your site, add to cart and checkout. If this method is not available, as you are saying you require a membership, then this would be against policy and therefore is very unlikely to get passed the review process.

Looking for another advertising platform is best for your circumstances.

Tom Wilson
Freelance Adwords & Google Shopping Consultant

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Leticia

Marketplace sellers must adhere to certain policies - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2796531

"Members only" would lead me to believe you are required to sign-up/sign in to get to the item/listing?

If so, please see here - Landing Page Requirements - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2700318

Especially take note - *Users should not be required to log in or register in order to view your product offer on your landing page.*

If my assumptions are wrong, please forgive me, if you could offer more details, or a link to the site in question that would aid in replies.

Tom Wilson

If you find this or another response helpful within the forum "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the quick response. Your assumptions aren't wrong, but I understand that I've given the bare minimum information. Can't give too much away you see. But I'll try to include the salient points.

I went through the links you provided. As per the definition of marketplace in the AdWords Help Center, I would say this company is one only in the strictest sense.

For ex: I have an exclusive original art piece I want to sell, I would list it here, and then a buy can contact me if he's interested, and we would then take the deal forward depending on the interest of both parties. No money transactions happen online. Would this be considered a marketplace?

And logging in is definitely necessary to see the product. So maybe I can only look at Content Marketing for this?

Leticia
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leticia I
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Leticia

Yes, I would say, as you are not an individual selling your own items on your own domain, instead using a Marketplace or third-party to list your item.

This method of sale, would not be suitable for Google Shopping Campaigns. In order to qualify, a customer must be able to click your item in listings, visit your site, add to cart and checkout. If this method is not available, as you are saying you require a membership, then this would be against policy and therefore is very unlikely to get passed the review process.

Looking for another advertising platform is best for your circumstances.

Tom Wilson

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot Tom. Your insights were very helpful!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Leticia

No problem, good luck moving forward.

Tom Wilson