AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Advice needed with exclusions in Display Network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings people! So I began a campaign only in Display network (image ads) 3-4 days ago. CTR: 0,2 %  Smiley Sad  

Of course I added negative words like adult etc., but I also excluded users of male and unspecified gender (my campaign is about an aromatherapy course), plus users who are interested in real estate and cars. Did I overdo it? Newbie, and just wondering... I live in Greece, and anyway the topic is quite specific... Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advice needed with exclusions in Display Network.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

Are you looking for female audiences only ? Which targeting criteria have you used? Are you looking for users interested in all the three (aromatherapy + real estate + cars) or any of them is fine?

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Sumanth,
yes, I am looking for women only - usually men are not very interested in this. As for real estate and cars, I have excluded the users (I targeted people interested in beauty, fitness, health and education).

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Targeting: If you're looking for users interested in any of the targeting criteria, you can create one ad group for each criteria available. This would ensure you're targeting these criteria individually and users who fall under any of these would be able to see your ad. So that's a good number of audience.

Exclusion: You can do the male exclusion at campaign level. Let the campaign run for a week and then analyze its performance on different placements. That way, you'll get more negatives to exclude. Remember: This needs constant monitoring & refining based on past performance.

However, if you're too specific about websites, you can also go with managed placements. Try to find relevant placements through placement tool and target them in an ad group. This is suggested if you want to have control on where (websites) your ads are shown.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar