AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

If we start advertising on google, is there anyway that people who visit my site would be able to be served up ads about the content of my site without my consent? IE If im not doing any retargeting - can google still mine the content of my site to serve up relatable ads to people who have visited it?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cosi C
June 2017

Advertising on Google

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Health in personalized advertising

Personal health conditions, health issues related to intimate body parts or functions, and invasive medical procedures. This also includes treatments for health conditions and intimate bodily health issues.

• Examples: treatments for chronic health conditions like diabetes or arthritis, treatments for sexually transmitted diseases, counseling services for mental health issues like depression or anxiety, medical devices for sleep apnea like CPAP machines, over-the-counter medications for yeast infections, information about how to support your autistic child

Health content includes:

• physical or mental health conditions, including diseases, chronic conditions, and sexual health
  • health condition-related services or procedures
  • products for treating or managing health conditions, including over-the-counter medications for health conditions and medical devices
  • long or short-term health issues associated with intimate body parts or functions, including genital, bowel, or urinary functions
  • invasive medical procedures, including cosmetic surgery
  • disabilities, even when content is oriented toward the user’s primary caretaker

For you reference: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Advertising on Google

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Cosi C,

To target the previous visitors on your website, remarketing is the only method that can make it done.

Though you can either go with display/search or both the remarketing.

There are Dynamic search Ads but these don't follow the previous visitors.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Advertising on Google

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Cosci, Archit is correct. The short answer to your question is no. But why would you be concerned about that? That seems like a red flag that maybe you shouldn't advertise that site on the adwords platform.

Advertising on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

Ill give you the use case to be super clear. I am happy to target people who could benefit from our service so advertising our brand is not a problem as its in our control and we know the value of the service we offer. BUT what would be a problem is if someone came to our site (in privacy) to get help with say depression, and then subsequent to that they started seeing ads pop up talking about depression from other brands. IE having come to our site to deal with a personal problem they are then being spammed by other companies on the theme of depression.

So I just want to be 100% clear that that use case could never happen?

Thanks

Re: Advertising on Google

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

personal health conditions such as depression are covered by google's
user-privacy related polices and cannot be advertised using any form
of google's personalized/interest-based advertising such as remarketing --
by anyone.

otherwise, if a user's search-behavior uncovers an interest, then that
user may certainly see relevant related ads from other advertisers --

based on the advertiser's bid and quality factors.

Advertising on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your reply. IM still a little confused...

I know its possible to do interest-based and behavioral targeting through Google. So if I visited a mental health site that had Google's pixel on it, then surely Google would know that those are the types of sites that I visit, and therefore when an advertiser wanted to target people like me based on interests = mental health, I would fall into that grouping. SO are you saying that google's privacy policy doesn't allow for this because the topic of mental health is banned? Thanks

Advertising on Google

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yes, Exactly.

Google does but restrict this category.

Regards

Advertising on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great and does that include both Mental Health as an umbrella topic and then all topics beneath it like Depression, Anxiety etc so anything to do with mental health is restricted by google? Do you have a link to where google specifies this so I can send it to my team? Really appreciate your help

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cosi C
June 2017

Advertising on Google

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Health in personalized advertising

Personal health conditions, health issues related to intimate body parts or functions, and invasive medical procedures. This also includes treatments for health conditions and intimate bodily health issues.

• Examples: treatments for chronic health conditions like diabetes or arthritis, treatments for sexually transmitted diseases, counseling services for mental health issues like depression or anxiety, medical devices for sleep apnea like CPAP machines, over-the-counter medications for yeast infections, information about how to support your autistic child

Health content includes:

• physical or mental health conditions, including diseases, chronic conditions, and sexual health
  • health condition-related services or procedures
  • products for treating or managing health conditions, including over-the-counter medications for health conditions and medical devices
  • long or short-term health issues associated with intimate body parts or functions, including genital, bowel, or urinary functions
  • invasive medical procedures, including cosmetic surgery
  • disabilities, even when content is oriented toward the user’s primary caretaker

For you reference: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465

Regards

Advertising on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much!!