star_border

Advance location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have a question.

Say that I have a business in Los Angeles and I want my ad to be shown to:

1-Who is searching for my location target, Los Angeles, regardless where he/she is:

OR

2- Who is likely to be in my location target but  in the same time he/she is not searching for other locations different from mine, different from Los Angeles. If anything is searching my target location.

Could you confirm that is it not possible to have both conditions ( 1 and 2 ) in the same ad? In particular is it not possible to have condition 2?

Thank you for you reply

Semhar

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Semhar Y
September 2015

Re: Advance location targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar, yes, I think that should work.  As you say, the tricky part is building an exclusion list for the rest of the world.

Your hardest part will be the US, and California in particular as it's a (relatively) short list to exclude the major populated countries, but you'll need to exclude the "other" 49 States and then find a way to exclude the parts of California not within your Los Angeles radius.

AdWords really needs a Location targeting option that allows you to define what to do with people outside your targeted location, not just the ability to specify exclusions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar, if I understand you correctly, no, it's not possible to satisfy both conditions in a single Campaign.  It would be if exclusions allowed the Advanced setting of "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location" but they don't, these can only be applied to Targets.

You can satisfy Condition 1 with the default setting when targeting Los Angeles, where the advanced setting is "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location."

but to satisfy Condition 2 you'd need to exclude people in Los Angeles who were searching for pages about, say, London. and this is not currently possible using the Location targeting alone.

However, you might be able to come close to it, depending upon your circumstances.  For example, you may be able to use negative keywords to exclude searches for common cities, States, countries, etc. so that someone in Los Angeles searching for somewhere by using "keyword London" would not see your Ad (because you have London as a negative).

We'd need to know a little more about your business and objectives to offer more constructive help.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Jon,

you gave me a really good advice by thinking outside the box- I didn't think about excluding locations in terms of keywords! ..although the list would be quite long.

What do you think if I ll create two similar campaigns, but
one with :
Target: people searching for/interested in: Los Angeles

and the other with:
Target: people in Los Angeles.
Exclusion: people in, searching for/interested in : (World- Los Angeles), using radius targeting should be fast, although it would be faster if I could select entire continents.

Is this correct?
Thank you!
Semhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Semhar Y
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar, yes, I think that should work.  As you say, the tricky part is building an exclusion list for the rest of the world.

Your hardest part will be the US, and California in particular as it's a (relatively) short list to exclude the major populated countries, but you'll need to exclude the "other" 49 States and then find a way to exclude the parts of California not within your Los Angeles radius.

AdWords really needs a Location targeting option that allows you to define what to do with people outside your targeted location, not just the ability to specify exclusions.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Cobnut - I have a thread that I started a couple of days ago - and came to the exact same conclusion. Google needs to add an exclusion option for "people searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location" - then it would be easy to leave the default for tagetted and just exclude everything else.