Guide Me
star_border

Ads suddenly not showing to low ad rank, but high Max CPC and 7> QS

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

My first post to the Adwords Community Forum.

Our impressions (and clicks and conversions) have tanked over the last few weeks. Nearly all our Keyword status are saying they are not showing due to a low Ad Rank - thats fair enough, but here is where I'm confused....

- There was a sudden drop off in impressions across all campaigns
- Our QS ranges from 7 to 10, no keywords are showing a huge drop QS
- Our MaxCPC is high, plus we have never really needed to change in in the years we've been running our account
- Generally Speaking other QS metrics (exp. CTR, Ad Relevance, Landing Page) are average to above average

If this was campaign or group, I could understand but it seems to be affecting all campaigns.

I can't see anything wrong with the landing pages - no major changes were made there.

No new competitors have entered the market either.

Really not sure what the problem is here.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jason,

That's an odd drop-off in activity.

You've already looked at the obvious things that might cause such a drop-off, so without access to your account I'm afraid there's not much more I can help you troubleshoot.

I recommend reaching out to Google support. They may be able to identify something less obvious that is causing this dip in performance.

You can reach Google support here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6273970?hl=en

Best,

John

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

When you say "our max CPC is high", how are you determining that?  Is there something that you are measuring it against?

When you say, no new competitors have entered your market, how do you know that?  Often in AdWords competition is indirect -- keywords can be bid for, by participants in different, indirectly competitive markets.  I call that phenomena "keyword market overlap". So even if you don't have new competitors, there can be pressure on bids from seemingly unrelated markets.

Suggestion: on the "Keywords" tab in AdWords, use the "Columns>Modify Columns" button choice to add these three columns:

Est. first position bid

Est. top page bid

Est. first position bid

The numbers in these columns tell you, for each keyword (taking into account your Quality Score) how high you must bid to get onto the first page of Google search results, appear near the top, or appear in the first position. These are average numbers, your position may vary each time there is a search (auction).  You should bid at least as high as "Est. first page bid". 

hth!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback.

The target market is not that broad so there are only a few select, specific keywords that we are targeting with a limited number of players in the market. So I guess its gut-feel (not the most reliable) but the rate at which we lost impressions was very noticeable.

Love that term, "Keyword Market Overlap" though.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look at those numbers and see how far off we are from those.

I've also reached out to support to see if they can provide any further suggestions.

Thank you.

Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just an update on this...

I noticed a anomaly with the keyword preview and diagnostic tool - when checking a keyword my targeted location (country), the tool reports that its not showing - but if I test with a city within that country it  says that the keyword is showing. Adwords support has assured me that "..the Ad Preview tool is not very accurate.." and there is nothing wrong with the keywords. So there Smiley Happy

On Steve B's reccomendation I checked the 1st posistion bid and have increased my max CPC accordinly (I have not matched that bid, but rather raised it inline with what the estimate says).

I've also looked at increasing my daily budget to get Imp Lost to Budget down a bit.

-Jason

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey thanks for this! I've been going potty trying to work out why my ads suddenly stopped showing in Australia. I hadn't got round to upgrading to the new extended ads so I thought it was something to do with this. I just tried changing the diagnosis tool to just Sydney and I realised my ad were showing after all. Glad all is OK but really fed up about wasting half my day looking into this!