2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads served from Adgroups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Forgive such a silly question. A little more than a novice here!  I'm having a difficult time understanding how if I have 4 ads created in the same AdWords Adgroup how does the system know which one to serve if they all share the same keywords I've input at the Adgroup level?  Does it just auto-rotate them until there is enough data to determine the best performing and then just goes with that one?  Or if they have slight variations in them does it look to the text in the ad and whichever is closest to the search terms is what tips the scale and serves that one?  Or does it make the most sense to break up my keywords into 4 different Adgroups and assign one ad of the 4 to each?  keyThanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian G
July

Ads served from Adgroups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ian,

When you have multiple ads in an ad group, the system will rotate the ads based on your ad rotation setting.

The default setting is Optimize for clicks. This setting will give preference to ads that are expected to attract more clicks than other ads in the ad group, based on your click through rates (CTRs).

More information about ad rotation settings here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian G
July

Ads served from Adgroups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ian,

When you have multiple ads in an ad group, the system will rotate the ads based on your ad rotation setting.

The default setting is Optimize for clicks. This setting will give preference to ads that are expected to attract more clicks than other ads in the ad group, based on your click through rates (CTRs).

More information about ad rotation settings here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Deepak

Ads served from Adgroups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

wow, thank you!  huge help.

Ads served from Adgroups

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ads served from Adgroups

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ian G,

If you want a particular ad to show for a subset of keywords, place them toghether in a new AdGroup.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords