Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads rotation on GDN

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've got an ad group with 1 text ad + graphics (all the formats) running for a week , with high cpc max, 90 % of the impressions come from the text ad !
Campaign settings are set to "rotate evenly". Would it be a good idea to switch off this text ad and leave only graphics ones ?

Your help appreciated..

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads rotation on GDN

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

A common practice is to use 2 ad groups targeting the same placements or same placements+keywords or your other targeting settings. One ad group with text ads and low bid one ad group with banners with higher bid. IF you have enough time you can spllit banners too by size in different ad groups to bid differently for small banners and for very large banners. 

If you pause the text ads , there will be no magical gain of impressions on the banners, but if you bid lower on text ads , the system can pick the banners because they have higher ad rank ( max cpc x QS ) .

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

It's always recommended to have separate ad groups for the text ads and image/display ads. Reason being that the text ads are short and the chances of getting them successfully in the ad auction are more. On the contrary, image ads are big in size and are more competitive, so they require more bidding to begin with.

So ideally you should split your ad groups and have separate text ads based ad groups and image ads based ad groups. And if possible, you can also think about creating a dedicated Image Ads campaign and a Text ads based campaign. Choice is yours.

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed also that the text Ads in the GDN are not 8 times cheaper than banners in terms of CPC, but many sites have updated their banner spaces to the 300 x 600 half page banner, which fits 8 text ads so for Google there is a higher gain to display text ads.

I think it is more relevant to the user to see 8 titles from text ads in the same space instead of 1 message from a banner. If a user is not interested in text ads 1 to 5 it could be interested in text ads 6 to 8 to a click is more likely to occur.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks again Adrian and Pankaj

Very much clear now, but what about the ad rotation featutre in campaign settings, doesn't seem to be really important in fact..

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I use non-optimised rotation and manually pick low CTR banners to pause them. You are allowed to have up to 300 paused or enabled Display Ads in the same ad group.

Probably other have more profitable practices and I am eager to find out what these are.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks Adrian..