AdWords
1.1K members online now
1.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not showing. Says my budget has run out but it still has $100.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started my campaign four hours ago with a $100/day budget, all ads and keywords were quickly approved. I have no impressions yet and when I use the diagnosis tool it says my ads are not showing because my budget has run out but I've had no clicks so that can't be the case. I changed the delivery to "accelerated" about an hour ago.

Two questions:

1. Why does it say my budget has runout when I've spent NOTHING so far? What can i do?

2. When I search for some of my keywords NO ads show up on the results page. The quality score for all of my keywords is average or above. Why would they show no ads and does that mean my ad will never show for those keywords?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
February 2016

Re: Ads not showing. Says my budget has run out but it still has $100.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for posting to the Community! If it's only been a few hours since you enabled the campaign, then my first recommendation is, don't worry!

AdWords reporting is not in realtime. That means that there is usually a lag of a day or two in your data. So if the diagnosis tool says your budget has run out for the day, then it has--you just may not see the amount of clicks, impressions, etc. yet. You can try changing your date range in the top right corner, though, to "Today" to see if any of that data is available yet.

In the future, the Ad Preview & Diagnosis Tool is going to be the best way for you to determine if your ad is running. Since the Google Search algorithm shows different ads to different people, searching your own keywords is not an accurate way to test your ads (and it can actually hurt your clickthrough rate!).

Let me know if you still do not see statistics in a day or two and I'm happy to help you troubleshoot!

Cassie

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chelsea,

If you have a limited budget, and let AdWords set your bids for you (Automatic Bidding), sometimes the estimated bid that is set for you is higher than your budget. If you are using keywords that have higher competition, and therefore can sometimes be more expensive, you have a few options:

1 - Set a higher budget and keep the Automated Bidding method
2 - Keep your budget the same, but change to Manual bidding. Then set your bids lower than your budget to ensure you can actually get a click. Over time, with good performance in your account (increase in Quality Score), the amount you'll pay per click will come down.

Let us know if these tips help, and if we can answer any more of your questions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Jordan. I am already set up for automatic bidding. My budget is $100 and they are estimating the max cpc on most of my keywords at under $3. That is so far under my budget, especially considering I have NO clicks so far, that I don't see how it should alert google that my budget is spent. I have spend nothing so far.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
February 2016

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for posting to the Community! If it's only been a few hours since you enabled the campaign, then my first recommendation is, don't worry!

AdWords reporting is not in realtime. That means that there is usually a lag of a day or two in your data. So if the diagnosis tool says your budget has run out for the day, then it has--you just may not see the amount of clicks, impressions, etc. yet. You can try changing your date range in the top right corner, though, to "Today" to see if any of that data is available yet.

In the future, the Ad Preview & Diagnosis Tool is going to be the best way for you to determine if your ad is running. Since the Google Search algorithm shows different ads to different people, searching your own keywords is not an accurate way to test your ads (and it can actually hurt your clickthrough rate!).

Let me know if you still do not see statistics in a day or two and I'm happy to help you troubleshoot!

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie, Thanks for your response but it doesn't directly answer my questions.

Lack of statistics triggered my research but my worries are that :
1) When I used the Diagnosis Tool my ads did not show up. Adwords says they are not running because my budget is gone. My campaigns page show that I still have $100 in my budget. These two things do not match up.

2) when I search (in plain google) some of my keywords NO ads come up at all, not even for other advertisers. Does this mean my ads will never show for these keywords even when adwords begins showing my ads for other keywords?

I really appreciate the help.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Chelsea,

The ad preview and diagnosis tool is a real time tool.
There may be several reasons:

You might have used standard ad delivery and your budget is almost exhausted then adwords starts showing ads rarely on the basis of bid strategy that you have opted to optimize the campaigns to spend budget evenly throughout the day.
Adwords statistics are not real time, clicks, conversions and impressions may get delayed by less than three hours to update there. So, might the budget has already consumed for the clicks which still not updated in adwords statistics.

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

Also, there is a fact that adwords can charge upto 20% more than your daily budget if but does not exceeds by the end of the month.
So, if yesterday you were charged 20% more then it can be adjusted with the next days of the month when there are lesser searches and vice-versa.

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375423?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

Statistics showed up just a few minutes ago - all money used and over budget just as you had described. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Welcome Smiley Happy
Good to know that your problem is solved now.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’