Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not rotating evenly

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Howdy folks,

Just what it says. Campaign setting is "Rotate indefinitely: Show lower performing ads more evenly with higher performing ads, and do not optimize".

I have 4 ads in a group, all in the date range selected. Ads got 23.62%, 13.72%, 13.29% and 0.93%, PLA's in the same group got 48.37%. PLA's I expected, but the remaining ads are not rotating. The one with 0.93% impressions is the newest test. Since Oct 9 has only received 138 impressions out of about 14,800 impressoins for the group.

What's the deal?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not rotating evenly

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Pete,

Thanks for bringing this up. It's a very pertinent question. Since we can't look at your account directly over here, we can't comment on the specifics. Do contact support if you'd like that to be looked at separately.

However, do be careful of the following points when comparing:

1. PLAs and normal text ads do not compete with each other in the auction. Both can show on the same search results page and hence, are not compared for the rotation.
2. Rotation, even though a campaign setting, happens at the ad group level. The system can't rotate the ads from one ad group to show for keywords in another (that would be contrary to the very concept of an AG).
Hence, do compare the % served between ads in the ad group. You won't find much difference there.
3. Be mindful of the date on which this rotation setting was enabled as you should only be comparing results after that date (this is not a default setting and hence - has to have been enabled on a certain date right? Do check your change history and compare results only afterwards).
4. Do consider the date on which the ads were created. If I'm viewing results from October 9 in an ad group, but created a new ad only yesterday, obviously, the % served for that ad would be far lesser despite the setting. Compare the actual rotation for the period after the creation of the latest ad. That should be more or less uniform.
5. The system does not retrospectively compensate for the pausing/unpausing of a particular ad in the ad group in the rotation. At any given point, it'll only rotate the active ads at that point in time, as per your specification.

We hope this helps. Do contact us via phone/chat/email if you want a specific analysis in the above light with respect to your AdWords account.

Sincerely,

RR

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Campaign.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

If i am allowed to input in this thread, the ad rotation does not give guarantee to distribute the traffic equally among the four ads ( I don't consider the fifth ads as it was PLA ads.) Although the campaigns ad rotation setting is "Rotate evenly", it does not say ads rotate "complete/exactly evenly". I think this the limitations for this settings or could not be-- as we know that Quality Score is calculated for each auction as well. So the ads will get the higher QS will win the ad auction more. Thus this ads will serve more. In your case the ads with 0.93% CTR was not able to achieve the good QS so it can not win the ad auctions, when the users perform a search in google.

And it is also mention in the AdWords official link:-

Ad Rotation.PNG 

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thanks for t he attempts to answer my question. The report period includes only after the date the 4th ad was put up. It's not a date range issue. I did not expect the PLA's to get an even percentage. But, I did expect the rotation of the 4 text ads to be approximately even.

The ad shown the most had roughly 24% of the impressions, two other ads had roughly 14%. That's not close to even, close to 60% difference in impressions. That newest ad is the one I'm most concerned about. It got less that 1% of impressions. That ads are all in the same group. Before adding the newest ad, all three text ads in the group received close to the same number of impressions. The newest one is the test, based on something I learned at the TC Summit. It's not getting enough impressions to make a decision.

Guess I'll have to contact support.

Thanks,

Pete

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

i believe the interpretation is that the ads will be
given equal preference in relation to ad-performance;
the rotation likely relates to having equal eligibility --
which does not necessarily equate to being shown the
same number of times -- (approximately) even impressions.

i don't believe impressions is a reliable measure of even rotation --

but it would be interesting to hear back from support after looking

into the account for the specific case.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
All I know is ads in the group did rotate evenly (forever is the setting). I keep 4 ads in the group, 3 controls and one test. This has been working just as described up until I added the most recent ad.

If impressions are not a reliable measure of even rotation, what is?

Pete

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
that is why hearing back from support would be a good thing.

google seems to indicate that " ...but the actual impressions -- how often each is actually shown -- can differ across ads based on a number of factors. "

impressions may be one indicator for certain instances, maybe most; however,
the underlying notion of "equal preference" does not seem to guarantee that
equal impressions will be true.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Sent this question to support. I'll post back here when I get an answer from them.

Pete

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Pete, Ad Rotation does not attempt to equally match impressions rather it matches the number of auctions into which each Ad is entered, which is an important difference.  Since the Ad Rank of an Ad (and therefore it's potential to be shown) is specific to each Ad, it's possible that even though the Ads are all entered into a very similar number of auctions, they don't all end up with the same number of actual impressions.

Does the CTR for these Ads vary much between them?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits