AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not displaying

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure if the advice I'm getting is correct?

I've setup the ad ok, billing info is fine, though the system is saying that my ad will display under page one for my bid. Weird response, given that I've used three specific long-tail key phrases that do not display any ads when I search for them? How can I not be first or is this a method of making me up the bid?

Many thanks in advance, Lee Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not displaying

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lee,

Have you checked out any of the diagnosis tools in the adwords interface? They'll often provide some context as to what your potential problems may be. This may be where you saw messaging about page 2...I'm not sure.

If you haven't, try the keyword diagnosis tool - info here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453974?hl=en

Remember, it's not really Google deciding what you need to bid to show up on page 1. It's heavily influenced by competitors as well. If others are willing to bid/spend more than you, you have to deal with that.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lee,

Ad rank is what determines the position for your ad. You can read more about it on this link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

Ad Rank determines your ad position -- where your ad shows on the page in relation to other ads.
The main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads, keywords, and website as measured by what we call Quality Score. We also incorporate the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats when computing your Ad Rank. When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or formats on the search results page. So even if your competition has higher bids than yours, you can still win a higher position at a lower price by using highly relevant keywords, ads, and extensions.
Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

Cheers,
Vineesh..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Lee M,

If the expected click-through rate is low, Google will not show your ad on the first page, even if there are no other advertisers showing for that keyword. Long tail keywords are tough.

Google's first goal is a good user experience. They consider ads that won't get clicks to be a bad user experience.

If you're not showing on the first page, it is likely other advertisers have tried those or similar keywords with little success.

If you do up your bids for first page placement, make sure your keywords are a good fit with the ad copy so you get a good CTR. A high CTR will keep your ads on the first page once you get there, a low CTR will push your AdRank back down and you'll spend more and more to keep first page position.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete and thank you very much for your comment, though I hope you're wrong.

My website is very new, I have a single end product that is sought after and those that come to my site either buy or download the Open Source version, bounce rate is under 9% average and visitors spend over half an hour each time they visit.

I was under the impression that Google "did not influence the bids" and yet surely if there are no other bidders for my key phrases then is Google influencing the bidding, because the analytic data is suggesting that it is relevant and that people like the contentwhen they arrive.

Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

Lee

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seems like the system is scewed to suit Google, can't see why my bids won't show if there are no other bidders, it doesn't make sense to me, how do they determine the "quality of your ads."

Also as I said in my response to Pete, relevance in Analytics is suggests my phrases are spot on (see below), the phrases I've chosen for the ads match my domain name 100%, which matches my product.

Also given the relative age of my product (and uniqueness) I doubt other advertisers would have used this phrase before.

Many thanks Vineesh, really appreicate the feedback.

Lee Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy, thanks for taking the time to answer Smiley Happy

Like I said in my question there are no competitiors for this phrase?