Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads for Flash Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm running text ads for a Flash-based website.  Is this worth it considering I may not get good landing page quality scores?  Any advice would be great!  Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ads for Flash Site

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi TarynC,

Disclaimer: I hate Flash sites and have only one page on my site that uses Flash.

So, take my advice with a grain of salt. There are things you can do on a flash site that will make if easier for the AdBot to analyse in establishing your quality score.

The biggest problem with many all-Flash sites is the page load time. If your page load time is significantly greater than 2 seconds, it's going to be a problem. The longer the page load time, the more the problem. Typically, AdWords visitors to a page that take siginificantly longer that 2 seconds to load will abandon the page before it has completed loading. That means you'r paying for clicks from people who never saw your content.

Here's the way I see it. Your ad text will typically have 2 to 5 seconds to get the user's attention and get a click. Your landing page needs to load reasonable in close to 2 seconds (that means not 3 or more seconds). You then have 10 to 15 seconds to close the deal. People on the internet are impatient, they want what they want and they want it now. And they know you are not the only source (in most cases). You have a very limited amount of time to make your proposition. You don't want to waste any of that time waiting for a page to load.

If you decide to advertise your flash site, do use the meta-description tag and be sure each page has a unique description. If you have any regular html on the page with your Flash, try to include your keywords within that html, but always make it readable by a human. Do not cloak your text (black text on black background and the like). Do not add keyword lists at the end of your pages, and especially not in a font size that is too small to read. If you have images, make use or alt tags. If you have links, make use of the title tags. That is all considered to be text and in some cases will carry more weight that text in paragraphs or wihtin other block tags. I would not bother with the meta-keywords tag for Google--they ignore it altogether at this point. Other search engines do still look at it. though.

HTML pages dedicated for just AdWords visits should be very useful for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

I would try to avoid a whole web flash site. Though, there is controversy to the extent Google's bots can interpret Flash content, it is agreed that contextual targeting still works best with text (=written words)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Believe me - I would avoid Flash if the decision were up to me.  Unfortunately, I'm not making that decision - so I'm looking for tips to make the most of a landing page that's Flash - or if I should just scrap it and wait until I'm provided with an HTML landing page to work with.  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again TarynC

I would wait for html, unless you can include text in your video that would satisfy Google.

Read More:

Video best practices

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi TarynC,

Disclaimer: I hate Flash sites and have only one page on my site that uses Flash.

So, take my advice with a grain of salt. There are things you can do on a flash site that will make if easier for the AdBot to analyse in establishing your quality score.

The biggest problem with many all-Flash sites is the page load time. If your page load time is significantly greater than 2 seconds, it's going to be a problem. The longer the page load time, the more the problem. Typically, AdWords visitors to a page that take siginificantly longer that 2 seconds to load will abandon the page before it has completed loading. That means you'r paying for clicks from people who never saw your content.

Here's the way I see it. Your ad text will typically have 2 to 5 seconds to get the user's attention and get a click. Your landing page needs to load reasonable in close to 2 seconds (that means not 3 or more seconds). You then have 10 to 15 seconds to close the deal. People on the internet are impatient, they want what they want and they want it now. And they know you are not the only source (in most cases). You have a very limited amount of time to make your proposition. You don't want to waste any of that time waiting for a page to load.

If you decide to advertise your flash site, do use the meta-description tag and be sure each page has a unique description. If you have any regular html on the page with your Flash, try to include your keywords within that html, but always make it readable by a human. Do not cloak your text (black text on black background and the like). Do not add keyword lists at the end of your pages, and especially not in a font size that is too small to read. If you have images, make use or alt tags. If you have links, make use of the title tags. That is all considered to be text and in some cases will carry more weight that text in paragraphs or wihtin other block tags. I would not bother with the meta-keywords tag for Google--they ignore it altogether at this point. Other search engines do still look at it. though.

HTML pages dedicated for just AdWords visits should be very useful for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords