Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads competing against each other

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

A have got a case in which I run a remarketing campaign and a separate display network campaign with managed placements. What is going to happen if a user/searcher lands on a specific placement A, sees my ad and clicks on it, then comes back on that specific placement A? Since after clicking and landing on my website he/she will be inserted into the remarketing list ( a specific one), will he/she see my remarketing message or my display network text or image ad (other than remarketing)? Is there any competition between the two?

I am not considering the case in which a single user just sees my ad  without clicking and visits the same placements again and again because he is going to see my text/image  ad and the remarketing add since he/she is not in the remarketing lists.

To conclude, if the same placement is in the remarketing campaign and display network campaign (non-remarketing) campaign is there a competition between the ads for the same palcements (given that a user is already in the remarketing list and available for remarketing messages)?

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads competing against each other

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

In nutshell, it will actually depend upon the audiences list which you are creating. Because that list is going to decide who your remarketing users are.So it is better that you create the audiences list with care so that the message you want to showcase to your new users and old users is different and there is no mess up when you target both segment of users.

I would also suggest you to read these strategies for Remarketing here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476691?hl=en

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Azar,

In my experience both your campaigns are going to compete against each other but your Remarketing campaign is going to be given precedence over your Display network campaign. Purely because, for your Remarketing campaign the user is highly relevant as he has visited your website once before. It is because this classification of audience occurs where a certain user is given preference over another is decided only basis how relevant they are according to our targeting parameters.

For your Display Network campaign, the users are being shown your ads based on (im assuming) keyword contextual mapping or ICM or Topics and as for your remarketing campaign the users are already handpicked in the list because they have visited your website. Since they have a higher probability of converting or atleast clicking on your ad because of the relevancy factor, the remarketing ads are going to be preference everytime.

I understand not everyone may agree on this but I've had similar discussions on this with my Google rep's and fellow colleagues and most of them have given me this answer (or something similar to this).

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Exclude remarketing list in your display campaign so those who have visited your site before don’t see your regular display campaign ads, otherwise, as Shashank said, both your campaigns are going to compete. As for who is going to win (display or remarketing) what Shashank said works in theory but IMHO not in practice.