1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads Still Showing For People Searching About My Excluded Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This picture shows how I have my locations targeting. Someone searchs for "car cleaning in calgary" which is certainly in my excluded location. What's the problem here?

Screen shot 2014-06-03 at 10.53.34 AM.png

Thanks for any input or advice!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Re: Ads Still Showing For People Searching About My Excluded Location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Robert.

From what I see in the picture below, if someone in London searches for car cleaning in Calgary and you are using "car cleaning" in phrase match, the ad should show. Because the search is about cleaning, placed from London, and in spite of the fact that there's Calgary mentioned as well, your targeting + keyword conditions are met.

If you only want to target people in London, searching for car cleaning related terms whenever they do not denote interest for a location which is not among the ones you target then you should

- target only people in your location

- keep your exclusion rules

If you do this, only people in the targeted area will see your ad and if another area is mentioned in the search query then the exclusion will work correctly.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Robert.

From what I see in the picture below, if someone in London searches for car cleaning in Calgary and you are using "car cleaning" in phrase match, the ad should show. Because the search is about cleaning, placed from London, and in spite of the fact that there's Calgary mentioned as well, your targeting + keyword conditions are met.

If you only want to target people in London, searching for car cleaning related terms whenever they do not denote interest for a location which is not among the ones you target then you should

- target only people in your location

- keep your exclusion rules

If you do this, only people in the targeted area will see your ad and if another area is mentioned in the search query then the exclusion will work correctly.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Great! Thanks Calin.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Robert. Please note though that if Calgary is neither excluded by location nor by negative keywords, the ad will still show in the above setup (searcher in London looking for car cleaning in Calgary)