AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Ads Being Served

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there

I'm looking at a few ads and see under the "% Served" column that some ads have a low percentage. (for example: http://screencast.com/t/tMOH3WpUgz )

Can someone please explain what this means? Does it mean that the highest percentage ads gets delivered more often because more people search for keywords that relate to the ad?

I just want to make sure it's not due to budget or other technical reasons.

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos V
April 2016

Re: Ads Being Served

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Out of the 4 options available for ad rotation, First 2 are mostly preferred. In both the cases adwords will automatically show the most relevant ads to the user query and your keyword.(based on the goals- optimise for clicks or conversions).
And yes most served means most relevant.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carlos,

It is the % how many times any particular ad was served out of all the ads available in that particular adgroup.
If you will add the % share of all the ads, it will be 100% until you have not paused/deleted any ad in that adgroup.

And the % served will depend on the setting of that particular campaign.(out of the 4 options)

ad rotation.jpg

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you. Is this a good indication of how good/relevant the ad is? Even though the lower % ads still get clicks, should I keep them or will they negatively affect the campaign?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos V
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Out of the 4 options available for ad rotation, First 2 are mostly preferred. In both the cases adwords will automatically show the most relevant ads to the user query and your keyword.(based on the goals- optimise for clicks or conversions).
And yes most served means most relevant.

Regards

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Carlos,

Yes, If your lower % Ads (Ad-1) performance is better than your higher % ads (Ad-2) in terms of the following:

Example - Lower % Ads Name - Ad-1 & Higher % Ads Name - Ad-2

Ad-1 CTR is higher than Ad-2 (CTR- Ad-1 getting more clicks compare to Ad-2)
Ad-1 Cost/Conversion is Lower than Ad-2
Ad-1 Conversion Rate is higher than Ad-2

If Ad-1 performance is better than Ad-2 then you can continue your Lower % Ad (Ad-1) in Ad Groups.

Please let us know if you have any query.

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Anand. All the ads target different aspects of my business... So they do have different CTR's and attract different users. I just want to make sure a low % doesn't negatively affect my campaign / quality score.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Carlos,

Only Low % Ads doesn't negatively affect your campaign. As you already know if you are getting performance (means you are reaching your campaign goal) from your low % ads then you can continue.

Please let us know if you have any query.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Carlos V,

Sounds like you have ads for different aspects of your business all in the same ad group. That's probably a mistake. Ads are not matched to the keywords in the search query. They rotate according to the campaign settings.

Let's say you sell hammers and nails. These products are somewhat related in that you need a hammer to be able to use the nails. Now you create an ad for hammers and an ad for nails in the same ad group. The first several queries for which your ad gets shown is "hammers", and it establishes a CTR of 2%. Then you get several queries for "nails" with a CTR of 1%. You can segment your reports to see which keywords triggered which ad. Depending on your settings, you will see that both ads have been shown for the query "nails". The ad for nails may have a higher CTR than the ad for hammers, but the overall CTR for the hammers is higher. At some point the system will always show the ad for hammers even though the customer was looking for nails.

A better approach is to tightly theme your keywords in ad groups with ads that only relate to that theme. In other words, put your "nails" keywords in an ad group with only ads for nails and put your "hammer" keywords in an ad group with only ads for nails.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Great answer...
I think I'm somewhat like this... Using a very similar example, say I'm a music instructor... I have 1 campaign with 3 ads. One focus on "City Music Lessons" another on "City Piano Lessons" and another on "City Guitar Lessons"

Would I still follow your suggestions? Remove keywords "piano" from the "guitar" ad and guitar from the "music" ad?

Another great example would be web designer who offers design/development/maintenance and hosting services... Would this be 1 campaign with 4 ads and each ad has keywords pertaining to only the service it focuses on?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Here's what I just realized... Since I have the 4 ads in 1 campaign, the keywords are all within that campaign. Does that mean if I want to target the keywords for piano only in the piano ads, I need to create a new campaign with the proper keywords? Meaning

Campaign 1
Piano Lessons ad... piano keywords

Campaign 2
Guitar lessons ad... guitar keywords

Is this the proper approach?